Westwood Village lunch options?

@Chowseeker1999 Yeah, frankly getting very annoyed with these bait and switch tactics. It was very painful watching the new guy lazily working the udon cutter during my dinner, probably did the most damage in coloring my impression that night.

In reality it may not have been as bad as the impression I left with; however I won’t be headed back anytime soon.

Tried the new Cava Grill on Sunday. Got a salad and grain bowl with lamb meatballs. It was good, not great, though I think that was partly my fault. I went a little crazy with all the toppings, and not all of them went well with each other.

I do love the concept, however, and will definitely try them again. When I do, I’ll be a little more selective about what ingredients I choose.

Couldn’t help it, went nuts too @Cava. Still tasted pretty good.

also musashiya from earlier in the week. Forgot about @CiaoBob warning to skip karage

Also had Panini grill earlier in the week. Their Kebabs are another QPR winner!!! @Ns1

5 Likes

Just to close the circle, I tried Yalla the other day and was actually pretty pleased. Got the “shalafel” (chicken shawarma and falafel) in a pita “Jerusalem style.” The falafel was forgettable but the shawarma was quite tasty. I would definitely go back for more shawarma and to try some of the salads like Moroccan carrots.

EDIT: Actually, check that. Yalla looks like another place that sautees their “shawarma” instead of roasting it on a spit. Sad because the spicing is on point.

FWIW, it looks better than what they were doling out a few months ago. Did you enjoy the Udon?

@CiaoBob I enjoyed the texture of the noodles, some of the firmest I’ve encountered. Couldn’t put my fingers on it, broth lacked something, a bit bland. Good option to change things up in the 'hood.

cool
I think there are a few broths. The one I enjoyed was “porky” - like a ramen but not that thick.
For sure prefer the duck broth at Uomi Sasaya in Lomita.

Northern Cafe is now open. Anyone tried it yet?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/northern-cafe-los-angeles

Edit: argh, I’m an idiot (referring to my initial post).

Are the other branches any good? Partner and I may try it out on Friday… Or I may try it out myself this weekend (while cat’s away… bwahahahahaha).

Hehe. It sounds from the reviews like it’s a total zoo right now. I’m gonna wait for the weekend myself.

Mesa Brazilian Eatery today, got the picanha bowl.

Good flavor!

2 Likes

It’s one of my go-to spots when I lecture at UCLA.

1 Like

That looks pretty tasty! How much was the bowl?

About $10.

1 Like

I’d like to take that class.

1 Like

@Bigmouth I go to the location in Cerritos. Their XLB dumplings are passable, at best. The rest of the dumping are good when pan-fried. I really enjoy the string beans cooked with garlic and black bean paste. The spicy pork spareribs are really good. I’m not a fan of the hot and sour soup.

1 Like

I was totally thinking, “How can @ipsedixit drop a little tidbit like that and then not divulge what class the blue face is teaching???” Inquiring minds do want to know…

Profess.

The string beans with garlic and black bean paste is the best thing I’ve tried at the Westwood branch, too. Unfortunately, I’ve had bad luck with the potstickers. Lots of reports here.

When I venture a bit south, I always hit up Fresh Corn Grill.

1 Like