What cake do you bake?

I’m not a fan of chocolate cake, but I do like this chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

I like the center pieces.

Benefits of being an adult - getting to take cake for lunch. Husband ate all of his slice, as he loves chocolate cake.

What cake do you like to bake?

5 Likes

The first time I made this cake, I wasn’t a big fan, but husband loved it, so I made it again. I make it with blood oranges from our trees. The second time I made it, I made an alternation to the recipe. After I remove the blood orange slices from the sugar water, I continue to boil the sugar water until the cake is ready to have it poured over( at least an additional 45 minutes). Made a HUGE difference. Now I like the cake!!

blood orange slices drying, after being boiled in sugar water

need zest and juice from oranges

Cake out of oven.

With new, improved glaze made from boiling the sugar water down!

4 Likes
  • devil’s food Cockaigne from Joy of Cooking (1975 edition)
  • burnt sugar, lemon cake pudding, and hot fudge cake pudding from Betty Crocker (1950 edition)

I used to make a really good yellow cake that was eccentric because it used all-purpose instead of cake flour, but I can’t find the recipe. It might have been in an earlier edition of JoC.

1 Like

I like your style!

3 Likes

When I am feeling warm, kind and loving, because I don’t particularly like baking :slight_smile:

Fruit Kutchen

2 Likes

I just bookmarked this, it looks perfect for my brother’s birthday!

1 Like

I LOLed when I saw you had carefully removed the center slice @Xochitl! I like the center, too.

1 Like

pineapple upside down cake!

1 Like

Baker’s rights! :grin:

2 Likes

My dad’s favorite! Gotta make it again!

My favorite too! I can’t have it right now. But so good. I perfected it with crushed and pineapple slices.

1 Like

You use a combo at the bottom?

No. at the top, but that’s not a bad idea.

Do you crush the pineapple in a blender or food processor?

Now that looks beautiful and delicious.

1 Like

It does, doesn’t it? My patience level would never allow for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I have enough oranges to make one last time this season!

1 Like

I bake lots of cakes.

Here’s a Banana Rum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting from Joy the Baker

Brown%20Butter%20Banana%20Cake

7 Likes

That brown butter frosting - drool!!!

1 Like

I made the cake again, yesterday. I didn’t realize I was out of milk so I used buttermilk instead and it was still quite good, though perhaps a tad less sweet (and not an overly sweet cake to start with). Also, this time I did try to to arrange the slices to make a prettier cake. In general, I am horrible at things like frosting or making cakes look good, but this turned out well, if I do say so myself.

pre-glaze

post glaze

breakfast

my frosting jobs - hideous

9 Likes