What is your choice of grub before and after an event at these venues?

Ya gotta have a drink at the Frolic Room!

1 Like

We probably will afterward.

Going this weekend to see Alton Brown. We picked Kali over Shake Shack and Sushi Gari. 3 very different choices but wanted to try Kali.

2 Likes

Great thread!

Hollywood Bowl - I eat there in the box, order from Lucques. I found last summer’s fare really wonderful, especially the great AOC Spanish Chicken.

Greek - Usually Fred 62

Wiltern - have yet to find someplace not Korean, but usually get Korean or sometimes Pollo a la Brasa and then drinks at Wiltern itself.

Strip - Tana’s

Staples - The Palm

Where to eat before the Santa Barbara Bowl? I’m going to Radiohead next month and usually just go to Hungry Cat, or get tacos, but anyone have a recommendation? SB Bowl has an amazing calendar this summer.

I dont’t know but I came in here to say the SB Bowl might be the best venue in all of SoCal (as long as you can live with the 10pm curfew).

Freebirds? lol

1 Like

Sushi of Gari

1 Like

The view @ sunset is amazing. I saw Sigur Ros there a couple of years ago and we ate at a nice place within walking distance of the train station, then drove to the Bowl.

1 Like

Hollywood Bowl?

• Providence or chi Spacca

The Greek?

• Home or Little Dom’s (will probably add Kismet after a few more visits)

Wiltern?

• Kang Ho-dong Baekjeong, Beer Belly or Jun Won

Staples/DTLA?

• Nest, Broken Spanish or Chicas Tacos

That show was amazing! Such a fantastic venue for them.

2 Likes

It was! Very magical.

Not to get too off topic—but they are a great band to see outdoors. I’ve also seen them @ the Hollywood Bowl twice----the first time, there was a guy sitting behind us that was SO moved that he was sobbing, not quiet sniffling but having a big emotional moment (granted, this might have been chemically induced or the music just touched him in a profound way).

1 Like

Way off topic, but their current, pared-down tour is phenomenal. I wonder what they’ll be doing for the three nights at the Disney…

The Chase on State in SB for their amazing calamari picatta with fettuccine Alfredo…they prepare the calamari and swear its close to abalone.
LOVE Radiohead!

Going to Hall & Oates with Tears for Fears in July…

For the Bowl, really like the picnic basket options from The Grill.

so do I……but tix sold out in the blink of an eye. :confused:

We never eat before anything since it’s never late enough, but after finally getting out of the Greek Theatre’s parking lot the best consolation is Fred 62. Just completely ignore that eating too much when you should have hit the sack three hours ago is insanely wrong and get a great big burger, or something with gravy all over it. I generally avoid having any breakfasty stuff because that is too much reality, after having very probably waited half an hour for a table in a crowd that looks too young to be out past their bedtimes.

1 Like

Went to the Greek on Friday nite and we ended up @ Messhall. I hadn’t been there in a couple of years, but we decided to pop in due to the convenient location and easy parking. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was surprisingly good—moist and juicy with a nicely fried crust, brioche bun, red onions, pickles and some sort of honey aioli. The fries were really good when they first came out and were hot. Noisy & lively crowd—the bar was packed for happy hour (we sat in the dining room). Great tunes playing.

Last nite I was @ the Ace Hotel and we had dinner @ Wood Spoon before the show. The food was very good. My friend got the Feijoada, which was great (I used to have a neighbor from Brasil that would make his family’s version of Feijoada a couple times a year—took him days to make it. Wood Spoon’s version tasted similar). I went light and just got a grilled chicken skewer which was served with rice, beans, sautéed greens and plantains and enjoyed all of it.

The only problem is that they were slammed and a bit overwhelmed trying to keep up. They forgot our wine (even after reminding them twice), where extremely apologetic and offered to give us a desert to go to make up for the oversight (which we declined since we couldn’t take it into the venue). I’d love to return and check out the famous pot pie and their seafood bowl (which I wanted originally, but they were already sold out).

2 Likes

Thank you.

I got Messhall on my list for Happy Hour Oysters.

Been looking for a place that has a solid feijoada, I was pretty disappointed with Cafe Brasil’s feijoada on Venice.

They had a daily oyster menu (on our table) that looked pretty good–maybe 1/2 dz choices. If the bar wasn’t packed to capacity, I might have checked it out. I’m not sure if the happy hour oyster pricing applies to the dining room as well as the bar.

As far as the feijoada @ Wood Spoon—our server said that they only have it on Saturdays due to the lengthly preparation needed.

1 Like

Hollywood Bowl? Usually Take Bay Cities to go…or Musso
The Greek? Snap Coffee Shop
Wiltern? Beer Belly Or Park’s BBQ
Sunset Strip? Carney’s or Zankou
Staples/DTLA? Wood Spoon
Dodger game? Philippe, Ricky’s Fish Tacos, Little Jewel, Eastside Market or Howlin’ Rays
UCB? Zankou or Thai Town
Pantages? Tender Greens, Stella Rosa or Roscos

3 Likes

Drive Ins!!! I’ll have to add some nearby restaurants in these cities but I’ll be honest I have no idea about Simi Valley and Ontario (I know Ontario Mills lol)

^^^ Americana, Ontario Airport, Simi Valley

https://www.paramountdrivein.com

^^^ Paramount (pretty close to a lot of other cities in SE County

^^^City of Industry

I vaguely remember drive ins.

2 Likes