What restaurants are on your rotation?

Starlite on Saturdays, Truluk’s on Sundays for HH. Antica for lunch or dinner.

1 Like

After trying Phatties food truck (where they park varies but I found it at mossy Nissan Escondido), it will be on my regular rotation.

Had a chorizo pambaso and a spicy pork/chicharron gordita—both were very good.

For gelato lovers, this week Ans Dry Cleaning is opening up in North Park @ 317 Adams Ave.

We had a tasting this weekend and I think folks will be in for a real treat.

I saw this place a few months ago and did a double take at the name. Is there a story that you know about?

https://adcgelato.com/ans-history/

1 Like

Thanks Honkman, nice to see you posting here. Hope the Boston food scene is interesting.

Living in Boston is quite nice as this feels like a real city compared to SD which is quite spread out (but we miss warm winters). But living in Boston made as realize also two things regarding food - the produce (and to a certain degree access to local meat) in SD is unbelievable good and you tend to forgot it when you live in SD. Even at peak season in Boston local produce is disappointing compared anything you get in SD. But on the other hand it made us also realize how bad the restaurants are in SD. The level of cooking (and willingness to experiment with dishes) in restaurants in Boston is so much higher than SD especially considering the much better produce and we are not talking about high-end restaurants but average, neighborhood restaurants (and Boston is on average not a richer or more expansive city than SD). We live not in the middle of the city but also not too far away (perhaps comparable living in Scripps Ranch or Del Mar distancewise) and we have simple neighborhood Italian restaurants who make their own pasta etc or small Chinese restaurants with hand pulled noodles etc. which nobody would consider here as uniquely good restaurants somebody would drive a long distance but these two restaurants would beat 90% of all restaurants in SD. My wife and I are talking quite often that we now understand even less what is holding back the restaurants scene in SD (our current thought is that the quality of chefs in SD is lacking and they just can’t cook on that level)

1 Like

Going down to SD for Labor Day weekend. Planning on hitting up some new spots
Ironside Fish & Oyster
Yakitoi Yakyudori (lady said to call a week ahead for reservations). Does this place get crazy even at like 5:30-6pm?
Carnitas Crack Shack after the zoo before Del Mar
We’d add Buona Forchetta but the wait is tough

We’re venturing to Coronado Island one day. Anybody have recommendations here for a casual lunch?

You should check out Dija Mara and Wayfarer Bread & Pastry.

Both look very good. Both are far away from our hotel in Downtown. Will bookmark them for when we are driving down.

The Dija Mara menu looks fantastic. Would order 1 of everything.

Born and Raised, as well as Bar Bodega.

Maybe check out the new Food Hall. I know I will if I’m down there this weekend.

The new Little Italy food hall? Let us know if there was anything you recommend.

An’s Dry Cleaning–Made it in a couple of weeks ago as they opened. Over the top nice–they urged me to taste each of their featured flavors before choosing. I graciously agreed to " suffer" through their tour. Wow! Some inventive and great flavors! The watermelon sorbet was fantastic: I had to get it, even though I am a devote dairy fan.

Born and Raised looks good. Will be in town for 3 days and was looking for places close to False Idol. Bencotto was one night, made res for BAR. Thanks.

Well, you’re in the heart of Little Italy.

If you want to stay in that area, then RoVino, Nolita, Bar Bodega, Barbusa and perhaps Juniper and Ivy are all good options.

If you want travel a bit north of Little Italy to North Park and the surrounding areas, then Tacos Libertad, Cantina Mayahuel, Trust, and Buona Forchetta are all solid choices.

Enjoy your visit.

1 Like

Thanks for more recs. I’m meeting a friend who just finished 5 days at Comic Con :scream: and is staying on Coronado, so I don’t know how much energy she has.

Our main thing is every night opening at False Idol and eating nearby, because we go back after dinner.

In addition to ipsedixit’s very good recs,

Maestoso in Hillcrest
Ambrogio15 (only had in La Jolla but now with little Italy location)
Biga
Pappalecco

Have not found much worthwhile in Coronado but haven’t spent tons of time looking either.

Same. Was probably going to go to Brigantines but the food is just ok and expensive. Doesn’t feel the same if you’re not a little tipsy and didn’t just lose a bunch of money betting on the ponies.

Why didn’t you just say Tartine and Proof alum. I’m trying to rearrange our morning schedule so we can pick up some pastries and bread for a morning meal.