What’s your favorite new restaurant or old favorite rediscovered?

Hi @TheCookie,

Some great recommendations here. Given your requirements, maybe:

AOC
Chi SPACCA
Aburiya Raku
Animal (menu might be limited, depending on if he eats seafood or foie gras)
Connie & Ted’s

2 Likes

Dan Tanas
Aburiya Raku
Chi Spacca
Madeo
Angelina Osteria
Bad Maash

1 Like

She’s that kinda of vegetarian, no animals, only humans, to cull the population . :wink:

1 Like

Ethiopian is great for groups of people with clashing ingredient bans. Everyone can just take the stew that contains the ingredients they like. My favorite is Lalibela.

https://www.lalibelala.com/

1 Like

2 thumbs up!

I’m a Lalibela fan. But my girlfriend will think she’s being punished for something.

I think we’re going to do Aburiya Raku… again! :relaxed: It won’t be over the top expensive and they can accommodate our date and time (Did I mention it was tomorrow? lol). In my heart of hearts I always want to go there anyway. What stopped me was the sake & beer only. But there’s a lot of delicious yakitori and my girlfriend will like the presentation of the sake service. :wink:

Thanks Y’all!

4 Likes

Skip Angelini Osteria (downhill alert)
Skip The District (was never that great)
AOC is so-so food-wise, but has the vibe.
Connie & Ted’s fits the bill, but can get a tad loud.

I 'd pick Petrossian.
Rosaliné is a second best bet.

2 Likes

Carlito’s Gardel

1 Like

They were definitely contenders.

We have another group in mind for this one and I’ve been meaning to ask a specific question. I know it’s definitely a steak lovers spot, but atmosphere-wise, do you think it’s destination worthy for guys in their early 30s coming from the Valley for a fun dinner in L.A.? They’re starting to grow out of the Mastro’s scene and looking more for low-key good eats, but still. Is it baller enough?

…Also, Lucques seems to be trending on this thread. :slight_smile: It’s terrible how many places we haven’t been to in our own ‘hood! We must remedy this one soon.

1 Like

The Jar is also quite adult.

2 Likes

Okay, right. I think that might be the one for them. And I see they have fried clams back on the menu for me. :blush:

Sounds perfect for that.

1 Like

It depends on the vibe you’re looking for. But I would definitely say it doesn’t have a “baller” atmosphere it’s more like a nice old school spot kinda similar to Lawrys in feel, so a group of men in their 30’s I don’t think would love it unless they are into an old school white table cloth vibe. Additionally, I really enjoy carlito’s but I don’t know if I would necessarily categorize it as travel worthy.

If they’re more into a modern, hip,meat forward meal, I would recommend chi spacca, animal, Gwen and possibly cut

3 Likes

This is what I was thinking. More of a date night spot if you live close. Or a family destination. My OC folk’ loved it, but they’re all about good steak and good wine.

These guys are a little tricky. They weren’t really impressed with Cut in BH. I really can’t blame them on this particular night. I had explained that not many steakhouses source the kind of beef that Cut does (Mastro’s does not list their farms) and they should do themselves a favor and order something a little special. I think I had the 4oz American Wagyu from Snake River Farms and was very happy. But they were on the bigger the better tip and ended up disappointed. Later when thinking about it I decided that it didn’t matter. For those prices every steak should be great. Honestly, their steaks weren’t even cooked properly. And me? I hated the table, so…

Tell them to go to chi spacca I’m sure that’ll be more up their alley.

1 Like

I’m going to give them 3 choices. I don’t want to be responsible for anymore expensive disappointments.
chi Spacca is on the list.

Oh and one of them doesn’t like char. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I was also thinking of scratching the steak thing completely and take them to Majordomo.

4 Likes