What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

What London has that L.A. doesn’t Indian-wise is sheer volume + quality, equivalent to our Mexican food. One high end Indian there might be disappointing, like a single trip to Border Grill or El Tepeyac might be here. But like our taco trucks and hole in the wall Mexican, every London neighborhood has a kick-ass corner Indian place that’s better than any single Indian place in L.A., hands down. Honestly, it’s the only thing I miss about London.

a number of catholic churches do one to end lent.

I could go for some Lyonnaise cuisine. A proper bouchon would be so amusing for LA crowds.

i visitied my share of michelin starred restaurants in france, but i recall enjoying the bistro meals more, especially if they had a cheap house red that was selected to complement the menu. ate pretty well for cheap at truck stops too. i regret never making it to lyons. that’s on the bucket list.

Interested to hear your report (but perhaps it deserves its own thread?). Hanjip looks like it has some nice ingredients. I was a little surprised to find out it’s the Mo-Chica / Faith & Flower restauranteur x Seoul Sausage guy, though not sure what I was expecting. Anyway, I didn’t know there were giant scarlet prawns in LA; that’s quite a find.

Already does have it’s own thread.

The ingredients are excellent.

As for carabineros, smoke.oil.salt had them. Not sure if they still do after the chef change.

Ah, NOW it makes sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cannot recommend Lyon highly enough. Both the food (which price versus price I think exceeds Parisian cuisine) and the city itself.

1 Like

how was the food?

Last Friday I went to New Moon in Montrose and saw they had New York style egg rolls on the menu. So I had to try one!

Good news is, the wrapper is awesome. Feels right.

Bad news (well, not horrific, just different) is that the filling is pretty LA - not greasy at all! ; ) Chicken, shrimp, cabbage, very light. Tasty. The places my Dad would take me to, it was oily cooked cabbage, celery and meat. Loved 'em.

I have not downloaded my photos from my phone yet (lazy!) so it is with great thanks I’m sharing Lalee M.'s photos from the Y site. They are actually better than mine, now that I think of it.

Click the link bellow and then click the arrow to her second photo to show the filling.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/new-moon-montrose?select=RnNV8SOOCYsLGYYW3QDDcA

can someone (ahem like @ipsedixit) merge the 2 exact threads together?

Some of us have terrible longterm memories, myself included. :neutral_face:

LA really is an amazing city for ethnic foods, in my opinion, no other city can match some of our ethnic offerings,

Mexican - Best in the nation (arguable)
Japanese - Best in the nation (not arguable)
Korean - Best in the nation (not arguable)
Sushi - Best in the nation (not arguable)
Chinese - Best in the nation (not arguable)
Thai - (not knowledgeable but up there)
Seafood overall (up there)

What’s underrated is that LA is an amazing Burger/Diner city as well. So, what do we lack? Of course we don’t have as much BBQ as Texas and the South, and not as much Greek/Italian as Chicago. We don’t have as much NYC style pizza or bagels, but those are specifically NY style items… I don’t see much if any deficiencies. I’d like more creole/southern offerings but that’s being very nitpicky. I can’t think of any type of food that we lack. LA really is an amazing city for food!

1 Like

How is Mexican arguable?..

Ok, I guess to be fair I just had the best Mexican meal of my life up in SF, but idk if a single restaurant makes up for the insane amount of places in LA.

And Thai?!!? Where else in this country even comes close?? Wtf??

Mexican and Thai are the only two that seem completely inarguable to me…

LA lacks great Singaporean food for some reason.

LA lacks Lyonnaise cuisine.

LA lacks molecular gastronomy.

LA lacks great/high-level Indian.

LA lacks really ridiculously high-end stuff in general it seems like? idk… but that’s not the worst thing in the world, since hardly anyone is eating 17 course tasting menus every day even in the cities that are abundant in them.

In general you’re right that LA has an absurd diversity in it though, it’s a fucking incredible food city.

1 Like

You also paid 130 for that Mexican food before drinks… Anyways, LA has by far the best Mexican in the country. To have Tireshop Taqueria, Chichen Itza, and Super Tortas DF within ten minutes of each other is just ridiculously unfair. And places like Taco Maria and Broken Spanish… Ya, we got that good.

LA Thai could be the best Thai food in the world. I’ve met a handful of Thais who think the Thai in LA is better than the Thai in Thailand because of ingredient quality. LA also is remarkable in that it has so many different regions of Thailand represented. You’d be hard pressed to find a restaurant in Bangkok that does southern Thai as good as luv2eat or Jitlada (when they are on.) Let’s please not make this a Jitlada debate :wink:

I saw Jonathan Gold speak about a month ago and he said something interesting. In cities like New York, where different types of people mingle everywhere across the city, restaurants end up catering somewhat to the general population instead of specific nationalities. In LA, everything is so neighborhood-based that people literally are just cooking for their own nationality. For instance, nobody in K-Town is cooking for white people. Thais are making boat noodles simply for themselves because there are so many Thais that their restaurant could in theory survive on Thai patrons alone. Those interested in food can reap these benefits because we get exactly what the Thais are cooking for themselves. Blood and lemongrass and fishballs, etc.

To answer your question, LA is obviously the best in Korean, Chinese, and probably Japanese, though NY may possibly edge us on some higher end Japanese stuff?

I think LA is not great on Spanish or Greek.Scandinavian maybe? It also lacks a lot of more regional French cuisine. As Aesthete mentions, there are no Lyonnais restaurants. Are there any southern French spots?

Probably not the best on Caribbean food. (I don’t think we are missing a ton there though)

Our African scene is a bit underrepresented, though the Ethiopian game is on point.

But I’m nitpicking. It’s a real joy to eat in this city.

3 Likes

I don’t know if price should be factored into whether a food is the best?

Californios serves 17 courses for $124.89, $7.34/course. Taco Maria is serving 4 for $90.30, or $22.57/course. That’s THREE TIMES the price.

If you extended TM’s pricing to Californios they would be charging $383.78.

Properly contextualized, I would say that Californios remains a ridiculous bargain.

Not saying that I think their singular existence makes SF better overall in Mexican, but it would be absolutely ridiculous to insult them over their prices since Taco Maria down here is charging far more by margin.

Polish and Hungarian.

2 Likes

Fuck, this is so true it hurts.

I have no idea how LA lacks great perogis…sigh

Would love polish food in LA. Photos from my trip to Sokolowski’s in Cleveland last week…best pirogues ever. $11 for complete meal!

Uploading…

1 Like

The same can be said about vietnamese food.

@Aesthete How long does a meal @ Californios last? I see that they’re open at 5:30, would I be able to bang out a meal when they open and get back to SFO by 8? That’s like a course every 6 minutes lol