What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

Shitty?

More like totally shitty. And not even in the same alternate universe.

1 Like

I’m a Chile Verde freak, and have been schooled on the difference between it and NM Green Chili by a New Mexican friend. NM Green Chili uses ground as opposed to stewed meat, and includes potatoes. Thatz fine. I prefer our beloved Chile Verde.

http://www.teresitasrestaurant.com/menu.html?menuItem=3

1 Like

Santa Maria style BBQ with all of the sides like this pic from wiki

Why can’t we get this? Forget the other regions.

1 Like

@JeetKuneBao try this place http://www.simigreenacres.com/departments/santa-maria-style-bbq-patio/

I just saw this on OC Weekly’s website for Sea Salt Woodfired Grill in HB. I haven’t been yet, but it’s on my list. It’s in the same owner as Sea Legs in the same center. We’ve really enjoyed the bunch at Sea Legs and are looking forward to trying it.

Thank you! I am going next week!

1 Like

@Ns1 try the grandma pizza from Slicetruck. I know, it’s not the same. But it will scratch the itch. I like it with just black olives.

Speaking of NYC, another thing I’d kill to see in LA is inexpensive, authentic KATI ROLLS. It kinda floors me they aren’t more popular in the U.S.

The India Jones truck has them at the right price, but they’re mediocre. The ones they serve at Sambar are way overpriced and flat-out awful.

1 Like

Not a restaurant, but Trader Joe’s sells Kathi Rolls in their frozen Indian food section that are pretty good. They are potato filling, not meat. We like to have them with mint chutney on the side, but my kids like them as-is too.

3 Likes

Ooh, thanks for the tip!

You’re very welcome. They aren’t as good as the ones I’ve had in India, but they are still pretty decent. They come 2 in a pack, sort of like an Indian Hot Pocket. :slight_smile:

Still yet to find decent Pierogi like this from Cleveland…

7 Likes

Have you tried Polka? It’s been years since I’ve been there, and admittedly I’m not a pierogi connoisseur by any means, but I remember thoroughly enjoying them when I went with a Polish friend who raved about them.

1 Like

the pierogis there are ok. but the decor of the place itself reminds me of many polish households back in NE ohio.

sokolowski’s?

1 Like

Yes!!!

i made a point to go there the last time i went to visit my parents.

1 Like

Re: Warszawa and Polka – I very much liked them both, and probably would if and when I go back. The principal difference is that Polka serves the foods of the people who farmed the fields, fished the streams and foraged in the forests, while Warszawa serves the foods of the people who owned the farms, streams and forests, For the most part the ingredients are more or less the same, but variety is greater at Warszawa and the cooking methods more varied; although I liked both meals I’ve had at Polka, it struck me both times how my plate presented mostly different shades of brown and beige. As for my memories of Warszava, we were with a larger and more varied group and ordered a large array of appetizers, with of course drinks, so what I mostly remember is lots of meat and mushrooms. I did drive home okay, though …

1 Like

Warszawa has been rebranded as Solidarity. Same owners. I have not been back after new menu. Has anyone been?

Solidarity Restaurant
1414 Lincoln Boulevard Santa Monica, CA 90401

Yeah Bollywood Theater in Portland that does Kathi rolls that are mind-blowing…idk how they aren’t absolutely HUGE.

2 Likes