What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

Shunji prepared a sumptuously over-the-top kegani miso gohan once. Once.

1 Like

Damn, those crab brains over rice looks so insanely good. Too bad it’s not on the regular menu. It kind of reminds me of the phucket crab curry over rice at luv2eat.

Btw, the crab brains and unlimited sourdough at swan is only 6 fucking bucks. qpr.

1 Like

am I the only person that doesn’t get the whole brains/guts thing? My parents tried getting me in on that stuff as a kid, and my wife has tried getting me in on that stuff as an adult, but my feelings remain “meh”.

It’s cool. Diff’rent stroke for diff’rent folks.

More crab guts for us! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m curious if you feel the same way about shrimp heads. It’s not for everyone, I have a friend whom doesn’t like sucking (shrimp) head, which is cool because i get to eat all her heads :slight_smile:

when I was young I didn’t care for the shrimp heads, as an adult I’ll suck the heads but I’m not 100% sure if I love it - I do it because the internet tells me I should love it. except for crawfish heads in boiling crab whole shebang sauce, yeah I’ll suck those heads like a golf ball through a garden hose.

3 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

No, you’re not the only one. :wink: I remember being able to eat Crab Roe when I was little kid, but nowadays they don’t catch female Crabs anymore. Crab Roe was pretty amazing. :slight_smile:

Chowseeker is correct, female dungies are illegal for commercial harvest in California. That said, the stuff inside even a male crab’s carapace is delicious for those who enjoy that kind of stuff, just no “roe”. No purveyor (let alone Swan’s or Newport) would risk the fine nor the blow to their rep by serving illegal seafood.

OTOH, recreational crabbers may harvest dungies of both sexes, that said, the catch may not be offer for sale or exchange.

So you’re telling me the red stuff in these lobsters I eat is not roe?

Similar to shrimp, Maine lobster (if that is what you are referring to), carry their roe on the bottom of their tails, not inside.

“It’s cool. Diff’rent stroke for diff’rent folks.”

Growing up, the patriarch of the family (grandpa) always got the Dungeness crab shell (carapace). He’d “flavor” the goodies in the shell with XO (ok, Hennessy VS :)) and have at it, between gulps of cognac. The rest of the family did not feel deprived at all, that shit looked like…shit…

Nowadays, I enjoy crab guts as available. Not as much as Maine lobster insides though. yeah… different strokes.

2 Likes

What about fish eyes?

When I was young we saved these for grandma or grandpa (in that order) out of respect for the elders.

1 Like

What I would like to see in LA are good chilaquiles…sigh…

Surprising hard to get right for such a simple dish.

I guess it really must be… it is the #1 thing I miss about Mexico City, sigh. Seems like everyone can do them there. I am stunned that no one in LA can do them right.

Carlos Salgado kind of does them about right, but only on Sundays, and for $40… and I really wish he just did a basic red sauce version.

Pure speculation on my part @Dommy would know better than I but -I suspect most places are not letting their tortillas get properly stale before using to make this

I’m not sure what qualifies as good, but I really enjoy the chilaquiles at Taqueria Zamora in Santa Ana.

I was an only child, so I got the fish eyes. Also the drumsticks on a chicken or duck. Grandpa always got the pee goo (pope’s nose), claimed it was a perfect bite to go with drinking. My mentor and role model, he was.

I traded in my red envelope one Chinese New Year for the privilege of fish eye (yes, eye). The other one went to grandma per custom.

1 Like

i would love to see fish markets sell just the cheeks off larger fishes. a friend of mine toured alaska in a band and got served fish cheeks that were each the size of a normal hamburger patty.

2 Likes