What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

Mixed views on its executionbut Bombo in GCM (Mark Peel’s place) does steam kettle dishes.

Samosa House does chaats.

1 Like

Decent pani puri but far as hell from me.

When I visit Minnesota and Wisconsin, they have Czech and German restaurants. I want those here. Also, the many sausages and cheeses available in their supermarkets. Ten different brats! Ten different cheddars!

I know we have Red Hawk and Mountain Tan and all those lovely things, but the cheese in those supermarkets…

You could always drive to Anaheim… detestable, I know, but closer than Minnesota.

1 Like

India Sweets and Spices in Parthenia might do chaats. I had their Pani puri years ago which was pretty good.

I have not been in years but Bombay Cafe on Pico still lists a few chaats (spelling it as “chat”) on the menu. When Neela Paniz was there, they were quite good, as were the lamb frankies.

Does Long Beach count as part of L.A. ? I really liked the tapas at Cafe Sevilla. Outstanding patatas bravas.

They do but I wish I liked them better, particularly their samosa chaat. There’s a sulphurous element (not sure what ingredient) in the best versions I’ve had that’s missing from Samosa House’s.

Interesting. I totally pick that up in the chaat at Samosa House.

What you’re looking for is black salt. If you need that amped up, asked for a little extra and they should accommodate.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this, and realized when I miss a particular food item, it’s not that thing itself, but the way it tasted in its original place. The terroir, if you will.

We can get almost anything in Los Angels if we drive long enough, but yoghurt and honey here will never be as good as the yoghurt and honey I had in Greece, or the pastries and coffee in Austria. There are different animal breeds there, and different grass and soil. It’s unique to the place and so can’t be replicated in Los Angeles.

1 Like

If I were to ever move abroad, thing I’d miss in the US that I don’t think has been well replicated elsewhere. Burgers, BBQ (TX hill country, Austin caliber), Fried chicken, street tacos, cheese steak.

All the other fancy schmancy, small plate, Nordic, gastro stuff is available elsewhere and probably comparable or better abroad too… kinda like how LV, Chanel etc are now so prolific in virtually all large cities around the world.

1 Like

I guess you just discount moving to Mexico basically?

Or you think Americans have elevated street tacos so much that they totally eclipse Mexico now?

I don’t think Mexico is considered “abroad”. It’s our next-door neighbor.

It is a different country isn’t it?

Abroad means separated by water?

I don’t know. Find out and report back. :slight_smile:

You are the one making the claim. Common use of the word as I know it means different countries than ones own.

The dictionary also agrees with me.

“I don’t think” implies I’m not sure, but could be wrong. Thanks for the clarification. Now I know.

my neighbor lupe was definitely a broad.

4 Likes

Ah, I thought it was sarcastic. I’ve never seen anyone use it non-sarcastically without adding a question mark e.g. I don’t think Mexico is abroad since it’s connected to our country?

A period indicates a statement, implying you know that something is the case or are asserting it as fact. To add the phrase “I don’t think” to a statement makes the implication sardonic in quotidian English. Or at least in all of the other English language communities I experience regularly.