What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

I’ll have to hurry all Haggen’s in California are closing (Gelson’s and Smart & Final have bought most locations) The Santa Monica/Ocean Park Store near me is becoming a Gelson’s soon).

1 Like

What LA doesn’t have are moderately priced restaurants in the $50 price range for a couple that not only has good food but good service.I love the low brow eats we have in the city but I’d like to see it translated into a real dining experience.

1 Like

yup, kevin, that’s the place.

Curdfiends: you CAN find them in Los Angeles, just not locally-sourced. Moreplease (who runs the excellent Smoke’s Poutinerie in Hollywood) says above that he’ll sell you some, but 10+ lbs. is a bit too much of a good thing for me. But Milkfarm in Eagle Rock will bring them in from time to time–in fact, if you can get a sizable enough order together (six 8 oz. bags, if I remember correctly), they’ll special order them for you. But they’d told me that they’d be bringing them back sometime soon–check their webpage and go to “events” to see if they’re putting a pre-order together. They’re pretty good curds, too…“Squeaky Bee” curds from Beehive Cheese in Uintah, UT,

And if it ever cools down again, I’m putting in another order to The Cheesemongers Shop in Leavenworth, WA…they go into Seattle to Beecher’s (who have won American Cheese Society awards for their curds) and bring them back to their store, and you can order them online–they’re packed nicely (lots of icebags) and USPS two-day priority delivery. Be aware, though, that the quoted price is incorrect–$6/lb. is what’s listed, but they’re actually $6 per tub, which I think is 6 or 8 oz. But they’re worth it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your replies . I enjoyed reading them all . Some of the pics I just wanted to dive through the computer screen and eat . You might have some mediocre food but there is more greatness . I think you have it all . I would love to be in L. A. food wise . Over and Out .

So 25 a person?

Englow where you at ???

Which fucking city ???

This is a dope fucking thread.

Anna and assorted curd fanatics, Spring Hill Dairy from Petaluma sells 8 ounce packages of curds at farmer’s markets through the city, including here in Hollywood. Good people.

3 Likes

I like their curds - usually get it at Santa Monica FM on Arizona Ave. I’ve never had poutine or curds from Canada. How would you rate Spring Hill’s curds?

Their butter is fantastic too.

1 Like

I’d like to see a good Hungarian restaurant in L.A. Since Hortobagy closed there is nothing.

2 Likes

yeah. whatever happene to fucking Lazlo’s Hortabagy ???

thanks man.

The indo food in OC is terrible across the board. LA has some decent places though. I’m not sure if OC has any place that’s trying to be Burmese, but again, you go to LA for that.

I mean if we’re going to turn this thread into a “what’s missing from OC” well… that would be a loooong list

1 Like

Valid point…

1 Like

SGV and Pomona/Walnut have respectable Indonesian places as well.

Good Singaporean/Malaysian food. My mom is originally from Singapore and the options here are very limited. I wish we had a proper Singaporean place that served Singaporean hawker foods like wantan mee, murtabak, rojak, popiah, etc. Plus points if it was set up hawker center style, so you could pick a table, go to the different stalls to order different foods, and have them all brought to your table.

I also wish we had a better selection of restaurants in the Valley (especially the North Valley) for things like German food, high-end Mexican, good ramen, etc. for some reason, restaurant developers seem to think that Valley dwellers only want to eat in chain restaurants like El Torito, Cheesecake Factory and CPK. While it’s nice to have Roy’s and Morton’s in our area, I wish we had places like Red O and the now-closed Rivera, Papa Cristo’s, Plan Check, Redbird, etc. Even a Din Tai Fung would be welcome. I was hoping the new Village in Woodland Hills would bring us some better dining options, but so far I’m not too impressed with the selection.

1 Like

Heck, I would be elated even if we just had a simple, decent kopitiam with good kaya toast, at this point…

2 Likes

im no expert on any of this stuff, but the singapore banana leaf in the farmers market does sell rojak and i enjoy it

I’m in fucking Santa Cruz . About six hours south on the coast of the Monterey bay ; You have a plethora of good shit to eat and quaff . I’m fucking jealous . I worked down there for a couple of months and would go out everyday after work . I have to get back down there soon . I’m going to hit up Sergio cooking in his new location . Over and out .

1 Like

But
Englow

You have the mighty fucking Saturn Cafe.

WG where you at ???

In addition to whatever sour cream macadamia nut sushi you can eat.

This is s serious fucking question.

Where’s the best fucking sour cream macadamia nut sushi in town ???

I tried theirs a couple years ago and didn’t care for it. Real Rojak has blachan (shrimp paste) in the dressing. Theirs didn’t taste anything like the Rojak in Singapore. Same with their chicken curry I had - it was sweet tasting, and didn’t have the strong flavor and heat I was looking for in a good Singaporean chicken curry.