What's cookin'?

I’m slowly but surely gaining some confidence in the kitchen at home and am trying to make it a point to cook more often cuz I’m still pretty bunk.

So, what have you guys been making lately?

Here’s what we made tonight:

Chicken Meatballs - with kale/onion/oregano/mustard/feta
ZOODLES - zucchini noodles with butter/garlic/lemon zest/lemon juice

And had some chicken left over, so we made some almond-crusted nuggz.

9 Likes

Over the past week .
Squid ink pasta and clams
Steamed rock crab legs with bay leaf
Artichokes Roman style
Capellini with oo and garlic
Smoked pork shoulder and Carolina slaw

2 Likes

Nice! Would love to see some pics of your future endeavors.

How did the artichokes turn out? I’ve never had 'em Roman style, but after looking it up, it looks great.

Squid ink pasta and clams .

7 Likes

A few meals I made the past two weeks

Duroc pork loin back ribs w/ fennel pollen

Oven fried Korean wangz

7 Likes

Danggg. What’s your recipe for those wangz?

1 Like

Costco prime New York cooked in ci skillet ,sautéed spinach with a small bit of garlic and anchovy . Cannellini beans cooked in some fresh bay leaf and oo.

1 Like

2 dozen party wings, rinsed in water at least two times
1 TBSP garlic powder (granulated)
1 TBSP coarse black pepper
1 TBSP sea salt or kosher salt
1 TBSP corn starch
1/4 cup grape seed oil (or canola or chili oil)
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP Korean soy bean paste
2 TBSP raw cane sugar

After rinsing wings, drain water and put wings in a couple kitchen towels to dry

Once dried, put wings in a large bowl and add the garlic powder, black pepper, soy sauce and soy bean paste, thoroughly incorporate all the ingredients by massaging them into the wings, about 2-3 minutes (seems excessive). Let this marinade for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Preheat oven to 350F

Add cornstarch and thoroughly massage into the wings. This should make a thick paste like consistency. That is good.

Line a baking sheet with the 1/4 cup of oil, costing the entire pan. If you use a bigger pan, use more oil. I use a 1/2 baking sheet tray. (You can also add sesame oil here but I don’t care for it that much, but a 1/2 tsp won’t hurt)

Lay each wing so that the skin side down, this is to render the fat from the skin. Make sure there is a nice 1/2 inch space in between each wing.

Bake on the very most bottom rack fro 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes, remove from oven. Jack the oven up to 400F and let the oven get up in temp.

While the oven is getting hotter, flip each wing (might stick a little so carefully flip with a turner or tongs or both. After flipping each wing and the oven is at 400F, place the wings back in the oven but this time on the very middle rack. Bake at this temp and height for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from baking sheet and put in a bowl and toss with cane sugar and salt to taste.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

@A5KOBE - Thanks! Will definitely try this.

@Emglow101 - Sounds great. When you say “oo”, do you just mean egg? At first I thought you were referring to that type of flour, but then I just looked it up, and apparently “oo” is Greek for egg.

Pres Mochi .oo = olive oil . That’s my abbreviation .

Costco’s prime beef is really good. We get the ribeyes.

2 Likes

Flat Potato Omelet This is a Jacques Pepin hack.

-Thinly sliced baking potatoes (use enough to cover bottom of pan, like a pie crust)
-Thinly sliced onions
-Eggs
-Cheese (your preferred)
-Sliced tomatoes
-Chives
-Unsalted butter
-Olive oil
-Salt & pepper
-Parsley garnish

Combine & heat oil/butter in pan. Add potatoes & onions, cook covered, occasionally turning until brown on both sides. Get a golden brown crust on bottom.

Whisk eggs, chives, salt, pepper. Pour on top of potatoes. Let eggs seep between potatoes. Cook for about 1 minute.

Top w/cheese & tomatoes

Put under broiler about 3-4 minutes, until eggs are set.

For certain dishes I’m not much of a measurer. But you all are probably pretty proficient in the kitchen and can make according to the desired amount of servings and to your taste.

5 Likes

That looks great! Could you elaborate please on the stirring til brown part? Is it more ‘turning’ so that the potatoes don’t break up? TIA

We grind pork shoulder an freeze in 4oz. patties. So sauteed one with fennel seeds, RPF, s&p, with onion and garlic and grape tomatoes. At the end added some (Costco) morels. Over linguine with grated Parm.

3 Likes

[quote=“catholiver, post:13, topic:3429”]
Could you elaborate please on the stirring til brown part?
[/quote] Oh yes. You’re right. It’s more turning, so they brown on both sides. I’ll adjust my post. Also, just use enough potatoes and onions to cover bottom of pan. It should be almost like a pie crust.

Went to a BBQ this weekend and brought two dips:

RAMEN DIP - http://luckypeach.com/recipes/potato-chips-oriental-dip/
Pretty much tastes like sour cream & onion dip but has a bit of spice. I ended up using 1.5 ramen packets to get more flavor. If I were to do this next time, I’d probably add in fresh ingredients like shown here: A Recipe for Ramen Dip

MUHAMMARA - Muhammara (Red Pepper and Walnut Spread) Recipe - NYT Cooking
I can’t recall if it was this exact same recipe that I used, but it was similar. I’d never used pomegranate molasses before, so what a friggin treat! This dip was a big hit. It’s nice to have something hummus-adjacent, so it’s not unfamiliar to peeps but also offers something a bit different.

2 Likes

Hi @President_Mochi - Those both look really good! I love the twist in the Sour Cream & Onion Dip!

I make this over and over again but will share.

TJs pizza dough (8oz.), Marcella Hazan’s tomato/onion/butter/. Tonight’s was 4oz of ground pork seasoned with fennel seed, RPF, s&p. I brushed the dough with garlic infused oo, and tomato sauce. Chunks of mozzarella. Here’s the best part IMO. I use my mandolin for onions, mushrooms, jalapenos. ETC :slight_smile: Really so good.

3 Likes

@catholiver - The dough looks really well cooked. Do you use a pizza stone?

Are you by any chance Italian? You love your pork. My husband is part Sicilian and he can’t get enough of the :pig2: :relaxed:.

Here’s my guideline. Put the stone in and heat to 550 degrees for at least 45 minutes.

In a perfect world, I’d be Italian :slight_smile: But no. LOL

2 Likes