What's cookin'?

Quinoa is one of the few grains I really don’t get. It’s so tiny, doesn’t fried quinoa get between your teeth?

I don’t suppose you snapped a photo, did you? That sounds wonderful.

It didn’t stick between my teeth.

I didn’t think to take a photo. It looked kind of like this only darker:

I meant the whole dish :slight_smile:

Wow this looks and sounds great. I have that cook book, it has some wonderful recipes but for some reason do not recall this one.

Thanks for the rec!

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:425, topic:3429”]
dreaming of rice pudding
[/quote]It looks wonderful. Definitely not like Mom’s rice pudding.

momofuku bo ssam
Does this pan make my butt look big?

8 Likes

BN Ranch lamb loin chops marinating in lemon, garlic, rosemary, salt, and oilve oil

4 Likes

My favorite marinade . Are you going to grill them or simply pan saute ? Those look nice.

1 Like

Pan. Too cold and rainy to grill.

Isn’t that just an incredible dish? And because the heat is in the sauces so everyone - including my grands - wil eat it.

1 Like

You “flat landers” are so funny :slight_smile: But honestly? I find the CI skillet, cooktop to oven the most reliable. Oh, and yum.

Don’t blame you for not going outside . Cold and rainy . I kind of like sauteing in the pan better anyway . Just looking at those I am going to have to pick up some lamb this week .

Even Aquaman wouldn’t be out on a night like tonight in CA.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that the rain/flooding is awful. At Tahoe snow is much easier. Stay safe, folks.

1 Like

And it’s foolproof, i often burn water and even i can’t screw it up.

You’re funny. Former CH Alan Barnes introduced me to it. SO good.

Cassoulet w/Chicken Thighs & Bacon

Rancho Gordo Cassoulet Beans

Aren’t they pretty.

I started with a recipe from @robert by David Lebovitz (Haricots Tarbais). Substituted ham bone, carrots & cloves with what was on hand; Niman Ranch bacon, bag of kale salad w/julienne carrots & ground clove. Hey @Emglow101. I took a walk on the wild side and added extra bay leaves and garlic cloves.

This was a perfect recipe and we enjoyed it as is; really clear & incredibly delicious. But I wanted to take it a step further and try real cassoulet.

Enter recipe #2:

This recipe entails a third step of putting it in the oven to build a thick crust with the velvety soup underneath. This is where you learn cassoulet is not as simple as it seems. I pan fried bone-in, skin on, chicken thighs, left them overnight in their own gelatinous schmaltz (jiffy confit?), then braised them in the beans, pulled meat off bones, returned to pot and put in oven.

The problem was, I cooked everything too long on top of the stove. Result: They couldn’t stay in the oven long enough to form a thick crust without overcooking beans. Plus I poured off too much liquid before oven.

Still, this was so delicious. I’ll do better next time.

Served w/kale salad & a mustard vinaigrette to cut the savory.

2 Likes

Yours looks even better than their picture :yum:.

1 Like

Cassoulet beans are often overcooked by usual standards.