What's cookin'?

Not a farmer’s market, per se, but Underwood Farms in Moorpark grows various squashes, and you can pick the squash blossoms yourself in the field. They sell everything by the pound – the current price should be on their website.

Valdivia had them (with zucchini attached) at Torrance FM (Sat) recently, too, and carries them regularly when they’re available.

I often find squash blossoms at the Santa Monica/Saturday/Virginia Avenue Park farmer’s market. There are two stands where they are sold. The one in the corner next to the library with all the Asian produce and the one next to it that sells “seconds” tomatoes for $1.00 per pound.

Hey, how is that market these days? I used to go fairly often, but then it became somewhat barren. And when they moved the food people to that little depressing tent corner, I stopped going. It used to be a great market, the chicken man and the olive oil guys, the water fountains and basketball courts. So fun.

I love the Virginia Avenue Park market, but I’m in the minority. Most other markets have too much cooked food for my taste. They have a goat cheese vendor with wonderful cheese. The Asian vegetable booth is heavenly. Adam’s Ranch olives and olive oil is still there. They now have a good fish vendor and a mushroom vendor. I’m a big fan of the fruit from Kenny’s Top Notch Produce. Also, I’ve been going to that market for probably at least twenty years so I’ve gotten to know the vendors.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve been looking for a good goat cheese vendor, and I’m down to one good finishing oil, so I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Straining some Trader Joe’s whole milk Greek yogurt for tzatziki since our CSA box has been bringing us more cucumbers than we can keep up with. Overnight the one-pound tub threw off about a cup of whey. For this batch I experimented with this fine-mesh strainer, which worked almost as well as cheesecloth, just a few flecks of yogurt in the whey. The Persian cucumbers aren’t very juicy so the tzatziki endds up nice and thick.

1 Like

First phase of lacto-fermented hot sauce, mixed hot peppers with 3% salt sitting around for a couple of days, stirring occasionally, to get the culture started.

3 Likes

One night was more pasta. It seems to be my go-to when I’m not inspired or don’t have much in the fridge. Sauteed onion, garlic, halved grape tomatoes, shallots, mushrooms. At the end added shrimp and green peas. After serving topped with arugula.

Then last evening we had lamb chops (50% off in the ‘brown meat’ section of Safeway) grilled along with Vidalia onions, corn cut off the cob and more arugula.

Last night was grilled pork chops and a peach, wedge salad and some leftover corn.

1 Like

fresh black-eyed peas and onions from our CSA box, d’Artagnan andouille, long-grain brown rice, whey from the yogurt I strained to make tzatziki, chicken broth

2 Likes

salad of carrots, Persian cucumbers, and peppers from our CSA box and Brokaw Hass avocado and lettuce from the farmers market

1 Like

what’s not cooking (100° in Berkeley)

Is that a record? I can’t even imagine that in the Bay Area.

There have been some record temperatures this week.

I texted my brother, and he said it was 104 in SF! Maybe we should start a thread on survival food.

Roast Bone Marrow with Parsley Salad

I used arugula because I had it on hand. I’ve made this before but not in a few years. It’s so rich and wonderful. Someone long ago suggested a slice of baguette under each bone which makes a great addiiton. I won’t wait so long to make this again.

That’s a great dish.

I first had this at Bistro Jeanty many years ago. Along with the tomato soup under the puff pastry dome.

The marrow bones I’ve had from Jeanty were a French preparation with I think Bordelaise sauce (talk about gilding the lily).