What's cookin'?

“Gilding the lily” indeed. They are so insanely rich. While that photo didn’t look like a whole lot of food, it was plenty. With a toasted piece of baguette or more for each bone, it was generous. I’ve thought about serving one or two as an appetizer course for a dinner party.

1 Like

I (mostly) recreated Hillstone’s recipe for the Thai Steak & Noodle Salad at home tonight using a recipe submitted to Bon Appetit. We used rotisserie chicken, which is how my wife usually orders it (we didn’t have time to recreate the steak, but I’ll be doing that soon). The results were great. Lots of ingredients and prep has me wondering if it’s worth the effort at home, but my wife’s reaction tells me we’ll be doing it again. Sorry, no pics. It was really tasty, but not all that pretty.

3 Likes

2 Likes

That’s what was left of a pile of lamb from our CSA farm after everyone grabbed a chop. The skewers are heart, which was great, and tongue, which would have have been better if I’d left it on the grill for another couple of minutes.

I thought my friend took a photo of the other dishes or I would have taken one: ratatouille, tzatziki, potato salad, Great Northern beans, Acme bread.

1 Like

You’re lucky. We bought a local lamb and it didn’t include the ‘esoteric’ pieces. I had the feeling that they sell those separately to restaurants that are doing fun things with them.

I really believe the rack is the best of all worlds… easy, quick, tender, tasty

6 Likes

Perfectly cooked!

These are the best ribs we’ve ever cooked or eaten out. And so insanely easy. If that easy part turns you off, then avert your eyes :slight_smile:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4783765_ovenbaked-pork-ribs.html?utm_source=facebookADsKW&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=keywee&kwp_0=441800&kwp_4=1807534&kwp_1=768806

We’ll never cook them another way.

Baked low and slow is a great way to cook pork, but I prefer my ribs smoked and not falling off the bone.

These aren’t ‘falling off the bone.’ They’re bite-able :slight_smile: A little smoke flavor could be easily added. What’s great about these besides the taste and texture is that you just brush with sauce - which isn’t even something we usually have on hand - every 45 minutes. No other tending and you know when they’ll be ready. Particularly when the grands are here and delaying dinner isn’t real great at their ages :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keeping it simple with great flavor . Like it .:cowboy_hat_face:

Private party at a estate in the Santa Cruz mountains last night. I love the outdoor kitchen.

6 Likes

The introduction to the recipe said falling off the bone (as if that were a good thing).

Funny. I don’t remember that. We’ve fixed them twice now and definitely not.

We got French prune plums in the CSA box this week. Usually I use those to make a ridiculously complicated tart from Joël Robuchon’s Le meilleur et le plus simple (Patricia Wells’s English translation is Simply French), but it was too hot so I made clafoutis using this recipe except substituting sour cream for the milk.

Salad course from a heat-wave dinner the other night: some kind of firm yellow tomato from our CSA box, yellow carrots, tzatziki with Persian cucumber, ratatouille, levain toast.

1 Like

IMG_20170917_133916682_HDR

2 Likes

Last ratatouille of the year, probably. That’s a 10" knife in the bottom photo.

2 Likes

I grew up in the South eating yellow crookneck squash which, for me, is summer squash. I like to them no bigger than that, slice in half, brush with oo and grill. Bye summer.

Grilled a couple of thin pork chops and some shishito peppers. With crash hot potatoes and a little kale arugula salad.