What's cookin'?

Source : Work. Free but cost to distributors or vip walk-ins is $10/lb.

1 Like

Some of our meals from the last few days…

Friday night was Korean BBQ in honor of the Olympics opening ceremony. I think I accidentally erased the picture because it’s no longer on my phone! :open_mouth: I bought premarinaded chicken and bone-in short ribs from the Korean market and grilled them at home. Served with pickled daikon and cucumber, white rice and lettuce leaves.

Saturday night’s dinner was pork with capers, garlic and lemon, served with Parmesan roasted potatoes, and Ottolenghi’s roasted carrots with tahini sauce. Total mish-mash of food, but I really wanted to make the carrots as I had been craving them for a while!

Sunday night was homemade pizza. Used pepperoni, italian sausage, homemade sauce, olives, bell peppers, onion, and jalapeno. I ended up putting them on a sheet pan and cooking them outside on the grill, as my oven has been a little wonky and shutting off on it’s own. I was worried that it would shut off mid-bake, so decided to use the grill instead. I oiled the pan as we wanted a crispy thin crust this time. Came out nicely. Made 2 pizzas so we’d have leftovers for lunch on Monday.

Last night’s dinner was Malaysian style Indian. :slight_smile: Yellow dal with green chillies, onion, and curry leaves, luncheon meat stirfried with curry leaves, green chillies, turmeric, and dark soy sauce, fried bitter melon salad with lemon and onion, and papad. All served with white rice.

10 Likes

Beets with sour cream and dill. Basmati rice. Chicken legs.

5 Likes

Wow! That sounds and looks fantastic!

1 Like

Bob sauteed a bunch of mushrooms in his usual way with s&p, garlic powder and butter. Cooked them down a lot til they were practically black but not at all burned. Made a grilled cheese sandwich including these. (I saw this on some site but can’t remember where.) On WF rosemary sourdough and brushed the outsides of the slices with melted butter. We cooked on the panini grill but of course you could do in a skillet. Perhaps the best sandwich we’ve ever made.

4 Likes

Looks delicious! What kind of cheese did you use?

Just cheddar cause that’s the only hard cheese I had on hand. Any recs for the next time — cause there will sure be a next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a sucker for Swiss cheese and mushroom combinations.

2 Likes

recipe please!

IMG_20180216_190119074_HDR

1 Like

WOW! Are those carrots? Have you eaten them yet? More info please :slight_smile:

Came in today’s CSA box. Will eat as salad later.

Where do y’all prefer to source chickens for roast chickens at home? Locations with wide availability please…not looking to go to the Grove to buy some chickens.

TJ? Gelsons? WF? Other?

Usually Sprout’s for Rosie’s chicken

1 Like

I made this and it’s fantastic! I left out the red pepper flakes and reduced the chile powder/paprika by 3/4 since I was cooking for little kids. Good thing that the whole dinner/evening went off the tracks cause it would have been too spicy for them. I had doubled the recipe because we were having six adults and four kiddos. So I cut into serving for two portions and froze. It has no topping because I was going to do the tortilla chip suggestion. Bob fried up some tortillas for our dinner the following night and that was super. Thanks, em.

1 Like

I will absolutely make this again. It’s super old school. Comforting and tastes great.

I love knowing I have ‘packets’ of it in the freezer :slight_smile:

I’ve been going Whole Foods for chicken. Since being bought by Amazon, I think their whole chicken prices have gone down. Unless they run out of the cheaper ones. Then it’s like $4/pound, so usually about $18/bird. But they’ve been quality for me. I just made a super roast chicken rubbed in anchovy butter with one. Enough for lunches all week.

Also made these green beans with a fresh “hot sauce” (basically just white vinegar, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pinch of sugar). Both recipes from the DINING IN cookbook, which has been cranking out the hits for me.

Also made these…

7 Likes

What are those things?

I’m pretty sure those are pizza rolls. I’m impressed. I can never get them to where there’s not molten filling dripping out of at least a couple of them.