What's cookin'?

I prefer Swiss when I make a mushroom grilled cheese. I usually use leftover mushrooms that have been sauteed in butter and garlic and I like the garlic/Swiss cheese combo. I also use sourdough bread for the sandwich.

2 Likes

Totally agree. And, yes, re the bread. We have a local bakery that makes a super sourdough and even more we like the rosemary sourdough from WF. And, boy, does THAT smell good toasted!

1 Like

I love that too (and it makes yummy garlic bread)

1 Like

Gorgeous! Yours looks way better than mine, lol. Isn’t the flavor great, though? And lighter than a giant platter of chicken and sauce.

Also, I like the way you used the little pint milk bottle for your sauce. I also save and use those, rather than returning for the deposit. :wink:

1 Like

Bob will brush it with garlic infused oo and then toast on the panini grill. As an aside, you can cut those in strips/sticks or cubes/croutons.

1 Like

Thanks @Bookwich! True. You get the richness of a sauce without the heavy meal. I found my mini food processor and will try out the full recipe.

Bottles are so retro cute now. I hate throwing them out and got tired of them rolling around in a bag in my car never to be returned :relaxed:. Plus glass is much better than worrying about the dreaded BPAs. They make cute vases too!

2 Likes

double batch of pesto

2 Likes

CSA-box minestrone, not so photogenic but really good: rutabaga, yellow carrot, tomato, collards, chard greens and stalks, beet greens, ground beef, black beans, white wine, Red Boat 40.

5 Likes

I’ve always heard about rhubarb and how great it was. Growing up in Vietnamese family it’s something we never had. Finally got a hold of some and first thing we wanted to do is eat it raw, modified taco Maria’s scallop aguachile recipe to include raw macerated rhubarb along with Persian cucumber and sweet peppers. Dare I saw we loved it more than the original? :astonished::astonished:

https://instagram.com/p/BjQ2Md7lmAx/

6 Likes

Yikes. Macerated in what for how long?

FWIW the leaves are toxic.

1 Like

Lamb belly was an interesting project. After reading a bunch of recipes I wrapped it in foil with the juice of a Meyer lemon, garlic, rosemary, and salt and braised at 275° for 2-1/2 hours. Let it cool, cut it in half to fit a pan, cooked it fat side down at medium heat until the fatty side was crisped up and it was warm all the way through, and carved between the ribs. Not a dish for Jack Sprat, but most of the fat was rendered out in braising and even more was left in the pan, so what was left was very tasty.

If I make it again, I might broil after carving to crisp up the fat and skin more, or maybe do the French thing where after braising you pull the bones and and press it overnight. It might be nice with the skin on.

Didn’t think to take photos as I was kind of busy. Full menu (I made the second and third courses):

• deviled eggs with fresh tarragon
  • bucatini al pesto
  • lamb breast, broccoli with fresh garlic, garlic scapes, and Red Boat 40°N
  • CSA box salad
  • blueberry pie
1 Like

No kidding. Wow, yumm! But don’t do that no picture thing again, you tease.

Carlos sagaldo’s recipe calls for just macerating Persian cucumbers in sugar, 1 ts per cucumber until it dissolves and cucumbers releases it’s juices.

1 Like

Cooking these morels and boletes. From the Shasta forest. The boletes were picked from a friend off her property.

8 Likes

Now that’s how to enjoy retirement folks.

Hopefully, e, we’ll have some “after” pix.

Polished them off. Nothing but a clean plate. Sauteed in a little o.o and butter . Pinch of salt . Nothing to mask the flavor. Scrumptious.

2 Likes

I use butter and s&p. I agree with you.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Breakfast was leftover Red Lobster!!! biscuits, buttered with cheese on top and put under the broiler until they became my childhood fave of “toasted cheese bubbly biscuits.” When you grow up in the South leftover biscuits are always on hand. Or used to be anyway. With a sausage patty.

3 Likes