What's on your Thanksgiving Menu?

I have no smoke from the camp fire . Clear . Rain and snow starting Tuesday evening through Sunday . Its about time to put snow back on the mountain.

Off-topic - who ME??? - here’s the site I use.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.3131&lon=-122.3126#.W--Dy4FKjnE

1 Like

If I make them . They are going to be the star made with amish butter. All the way.

Where on earth does one get amish butter?!?!?

1 Like

It comes in a roll here at our store here . A rare find

A roll??? Which store? I’d love to tell my friend there (who’s a great cook).

At Ray’s. My friend bought some last year . It rolled in a butcher paper . I’m going there tomorrow. It might be a style . But still unbelievably buttery.

We’ve got the usual 30+ so it’s a potluck. When my brother is in charge, the theme can get a bit wild. One year, it was Asian so he made teriyaki turkey and sushi. Nope. Just, nope.

I’m in charge this year so the menu is more traditional:
crab cakes
stuffed mushrooms
charcuterie/cheese platter

Roast turkey a la Zuni Cafe
Tri tip
Carver ham from Costco
butternut squash and kale salad from Serious Eats
roasted vegetables
cauliflower dish
mashed potatoes
salad

cream puffs
lemon bars
cookies

2 Likes

Sushi made from raw turkey?

No, thankfully. Sushi from raw fish. Cooked turkey. It was a combo I’ll not need to experience again.

I think cooked turkey sushi could be good, if you used first-rate turkey, though it might take some experimentation, and Googling “turkey sushi” turns up some seriously unappetizing recipes.

extremely hard to imagine

I can imagine a slice of turkey (roasted or otherwise cooked) with a bite of rice and gravy topping it. Maybe the skin can be the seaweed wrapping it. Ohhh, like inari! Ummm…I just convinced myself that turkey sushi might work.

1 Like

Kinda like Spam musubi.

Musubi with turkey Spam was the least disgusting recipe that Google turned up.

1 Like

Today I will wash pounds of vegetables, then peel or slice or dice each according to its temperament, then I’m going to blanch.

I love prepping vegetables. :carrot::corn::tangerine::green_apple::potato::sweet_potato:

2 Likes

It’s only 11am and have most of the prep done for today.

• prepped all veggies and drying out my ciabatta for stuffing
  • made the mac n cheese
  • blanched and squeezed out 3 lbs of spinach that is now the size of a thumbnail
  • made a bunch of twice baked potatoes
  • cranberry sauce from scratch firming up in the fridge
2 Likes

That is so impressive. :slight_smile:
I’m still chopping and peeling. I did, however, manage to find various serving dishes and casseroles in the garage just now. :+1:

Thanks. My wife was helping so we had 2 in the kitchen.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet we use for Thanksgiving that outlines what serving dish/cookware to use for each dish and the allotted time for prep/cooking in the oven. Makes it less stressful for me to have some semblance of a process.

2 Likes

Making the blueberry cheesecake. Steaming the goose . Then letting it sit in the fridge overnight to dry the skin . Into the oven tomorrow. A Jacques Pepin recipe. Joel Rubuchon mashed potatoes tomorrow with roasted acorn squash , bread dressing with some italian sausage .lots of wine . Everybody have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Cheers .:wine_glass::wine_glass::champagne:

4 Likes