What's the joint that has closed that you miss even dearly now and it's possible that the chef or another version of the restaurant has resurfaced somewhere?

Clusi Batusi. :frowning:

damn.

I only made it there for a slab of tiramisu. and that was pretty fucking good.

Montefrio de Madrid (Burbank) - THE place for authentic Spanish paella & tapas in SoCal. The fish-infused sofrito Don Victor would use to prepare his paella made all the difference. Ain’t no way this joint is resurfacing in SoCal, since Don Victor (who loved living/cooking by himself here in the U.S.) was summoned back to Madrid by his family.

Clusi Batusi (Sawtelle) - Chef Michel is working his magic in Paso Robles now, I believe.

Ortolan (3rd St.) - Chef Christophe Eme has recently re-surfaced, and did a pop-up in South Pasadena. Encore, encore!

Place Yuu (Sawtelle) - My favorite aburiya in L.A. (in the space currently occupied by Seoul Tofu) Luckily, Chef Mori-san has opened another eatery at Morinoya (only a few hundred feet away!), so I can still enjoy his cooking…

Nouveau Cafe Blanc (Beverly Hills) - Hey, isn’t Chef Tomi Harase cooking Japano-Italian fare in Huntington Beach these days?

Bucato (Culver City) - Echoing the sentiments of others here…

Bulgarini Gelato (Culver City) - I didn’t have to shlep out to Altadena when this place was still open. Now, the shleppery resumes.

And let’s not forget Zam Zam Market (Culver City) - Coming to a location in Hawthorne… soon?

i & joy bagels

1 Like

Seriously. But I did hit up six scoops last time there.

And we agree on one more:

Nouveau Cafe Blanc.

What’s he up to these days?

Adam Fleischman is with Umami group, and I have no idea what Chef Jordan Kahn is up to…

choco chicken…Just kidding.

personally i miss a little hole in the wall toisan place at the corner of valley and 3rd called wing hing deli. both sisters running the place looked like my mom, and they had steamed minced pork with chinese sausage on the menu.

Alumette; chef Miles relocated to NorCal
Palate; bigger than a joint, but hidden in plain sight.

Hi Kevin,

It’s so nice to see you posting here. I missed your long subject lines, question mark abuse and liberal use of four letter words on Chowhound.

In answer to your question: Sawtelle Kitchen.

hmmm. There’s a del Rey kitchen.

But it’s not quite the same.

And that’s no fucking joke.

Thanks for the welcome. :blush:

Grainivore - as much as I love Belly & Snout, I really miss that place and their Hainanese Chicken Rice.

Dalian Small Stone Restaurant - they had a delicious dry-fried beef tripe with chilis that I haven’t been able to find elsewhere (yet).

Salakot Sizzle & Grill - excellent Filipino place with some delicious pork sisig I’m still trying to replace.

Bistro LQ - Close to a perfect restaurant

1 Like

I frequent crave Cynthia Hirsh’s fried chicken, mac n cheese, and cobbler. I would love for her to open another restaurant again. Even a fricken pop-up.

1 Like

Hi Thor,

You probably know this but just in case, Mezze’s chef/owner Micah Wexler is the chef/owner of Wexler’s Deli in Grand Central Market with plans to open another one in Santa Monica.

1 Like

I think it moved to Beverly between Vendone and Dillon. Little hole in the wall, no cell phones allowed, expansive wine list?

wait, which joint moved ???

thanks.

i’m losing my place in the thread.

I & Joy Bagels was the best bagel ever in LA in the day. The La Barbera’s of bagels. Malibu Bread & Bagel brought back the original bagel master, Bagel Bill Brier, in the early 90s and had a 4 year run with the original formula. It was at Wilshire just east of Lincoln where Dagwood’s pizza is now. Great stuff.

1 Like