Where do you get your fried fish from?

How do you know it’s not good if you’ve never been? :wink:

My issue with H Salt is that they use frozen fish. As in, they dip the frozen fish pieces into the batter and fry them (I’ve seen them get the fish from the freezer and dip it). We’ve actually gotten fish from them that was still cold in the center (more than once, unfortunately). Their clams and calamari are premade frozen ones. They don’t make those in house.

I still go to H Salt for the fried clam strips and hush puppies, but for fish and shrimp, we prefer Hook’d. It’s much better quality.

I tried a “basket of catfish nuggets” at California Fish Grill, and they were very good. Light batter, not oily, and big, fat nuggets of fish cooked properly.

It’s in the Fox Hills Mall parking lot, part of the new building that includes a Starbucks and Trader Joes. It was pretty busy and the food people were eating looked pretty good.

Apparently it’s an upper-scale fast food chain.

California Fish Grill
6150 Slauson Ave,
Culver City, CA 90230

1 Like

I’ve been to the one in Gardena a couple times and enjoyed it. Actually wish we had one in the SFV.

Their El Segundo location sucked big time. Tried it only once about two to three years ago. “No respect for ingredients” is what stuck with me. The place stunk of seafood past its prime. The people behind the counter were pretty rude or just didn’t give a heck.

I think the majority of their seafood is sourced from farms and swai was all over the menu. Just my opinion, but when I see swai listed, my expectations drop significantly. Even still, the food was very disappointing.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe because this location is new they are putting their best face on. It’s good now, though! :slight_smile:

I’m not a fish eater, but I do remember they served fried catfish and offered salmon and cod (or was it pollack?) too (my kids love fish).

It’s a sit down fast food place, so I wouldn’t expect them to offer halibut or ahi tuna at those kind of prices. People who want to spend $10 or less on a seafood plate usually don’t mind eating swai.

@Bookwich and @boogiebaby, I’m sure you folks had good experiences there. And again, I only tried this place once. Every place is granted bad days. But that once left me so down on this place that it’s a no-go on my mental list. It just had all the suspect signs of not really caring about the food they made.

We were shut out at The Counter (it’s on the same street/block) and I didn’t feel like driving anywhere else, so we walked over there. Had I known it was going to be so disappointing x 5 (of us all hated it), we would have gone elsewhere.

1 Like

The curse of fast food, it’s only as good as the franchisee that runs it.

2 Likes

Preux & Proper makes a pretty decent fried catfish. And as a bonus the house pickles that come with it are quite good.

gerlach’s grill still may be the only place in LA i know of that serves salmon in their fish & chips order.

1 Like

Hi @secretasianman,

BatterFish offers Salmon as well.

as does Fishbar and Fish Time, and probably several others that escape me right now.

I’ve never had salmon battered or breaded before. Is it good that way or just a novelty?

1 Like

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Yah, me neither before we ran into BatterFish. :wink: I posted my thoughts and pics in an older thread here, but I thought it worked just fine.

2 Likes

Orleans & York has battered salmon either as a po’ boy or platter option. The batter is pretty heavily seasoned. It’s good enough.

1 Like

Thanks @Chowseeker1999 and @bulavinaka !!

I find the Batterfish Truck amazingly light, tender and crispy, the best I’ve ever had.

It’s Lenten fish fry season.

http://www.visitationchurch-la.com/events/knights-of-columbus-fish-fry-friday-march-10th/

8049 W Manchester Ave
Playa del Rey

And there will be bingo!

1 Like

Is that a H Salt Fish and chips? Also, how about Ralphs. Friends to me Ralphs on Labrea and Rodeo(i think) does some mean fried fish.They said all of them fry it though.

My Fish Stop, Van Nuys. “The Delta” plate with fried catfish, collard greens, and lobster mac.

Chef is slinging Mississippi-style fish and southern food and I’m here for it. “Using a fork to break apart the fillet is as easy as using a hot knife through whipped cream.”

Just opened a second spot in North Hollywood that seems to be going for bigger things.

8 Likes