Where do you get your holiday tamales?

I knew somewhere they wouldn’t approve. :wink: But I’m going with @Dommy’s Yucatan & Mexican-American “Not at all” version, because if I have some good fixins in the fridge I’ll load ‘em up.

Oh no. I used to frequent that locale a lot. Is it just the tamales they suck at or has everything gone downhill?

Yes. I always break out the salsa for these. My favorite is Island Treasure habanero sauce. The only ingredients are habanero peppers, vinegar and salt.

You may prefer something more saucy, as I sometimes do, but Island Treasure is is my normal go-to salsa. Or you may prefer something more Mexican, as opposed to Caribbean. Here are my other go-to’s.

St. Francis Center is done for this year, but the chicken tamales come with a green salsa that has chunks of avocado in it. It’s delicious, and I think you can order it with the other tamales.

3 Likes

I love the sauce at La Flor de Yucatán. Was meaning to get over there for some NYE tamales, but never got the chance.

1 Like

Are those the ones you have at home?

That’s a sampling of what we have at home. Those are the most basic go-to’s. But there are a bunch
more. Here are a few others who have taken up residence in the refrigerator.

1 Like

LAME! Just had tamales from Lupitas this morning. They happily gave us a giant cup of delicious salsa to pour on top. They didn’t need it… but it certainly made it even more delicious…

Love it! I recently reorganized my pantry and all the non-Asian hot sauces are together. And some in the fridge also.

Pretty sure it’s just the tamales that stink. I don’t go often, but tacos tasted the same (meaning I couldn’t detect a huge difference btw the tinga and the pibil and enjoyed the poblano the best). I think I might’ve tried the tamales b/f and might have a similar (and surprised, given that the tacos are tasty enough) reaction…

1 Like

My mom wants to make the trek east to pick up tamales at Lilianas. Since i don’t get down that way as often as i should anything else I should check out for a bang bang?

La Azteca is right across the street I believe

1 Like

tl;dr - Go buy some tamales and do NOT gather with friends/family but, instead, deliver these wonderful packages to them!

9 Likes

I’m already in for 2 dozen from a new place recommended by @ipsedixit from Tamales Mi Molito. I’m thinking of maybe going for another dozen from Angry Egret or Sandra’s Tamales.
I usually vacuum seal them by the half dozen and freeze.

7 Likes

We get ours from Las Golondrinas here in OC. They’re great for breakfast with a fried egg on top.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI7uCZ0jyha/?igshid=bmyvswcktu3z

Orsa & Winston x Bar Ama

3 Likes

Have you tried the Tamales Mi Molito, or is it a future order? I’m wondering if they’re worth the drive.

I’m picking up Christmas Eve. I trust @ipsedixit based on his last tamale source rec (Sandra’s Tamales in East LA close to the Citadel) to me, so I figured I’d give it a try.

2 Likes

I picked up four dozen today from Los Cinco Puntos. I went around 2PM, didn’t pre-order, etc and the line was 5-10 minutes. Tomorrow I’ll be dropping off tamales on porches.

6 Likes

Which of their offerings do you like @OCSteve? I may be down that way tomorrow and need some more to add to my Christmas Day tamale buffet.

We like them all. Our favorites are pork. Beef and rajas are also winners. Oh, and don’t forget to pick up some banuelos. Wife and I just ate more than I’d care to admit.

1 Like