Where not to eat sushi in Los Angeles

Exhibit A: Tenno Sushi in Little Tokyo.

tl;dr: we ended up here in late December for reasons gone into in the review below; go if you want to eat 12 pieces of just about acceptable nigiri for $24.

(Pictures on the blog)

My Twin Cities readers who are sick of my criticisms of sushi in Minnesota and my constant praise of sushi in Los Angeles will be pleased to read this review of Tenno Sushi, a restaurant in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo that is no better than the places I’ve found lacking here (though also no worse). How did we end up here despite our commitment to eating high quality sushi in Los Angeles? Well, due to the intersection of two reasons: we needed to be at the Natural History Museum after lunch; and our older brat decided on this trip that he wanted to finally try sushi and we needed to find a place that was relatively kid-friendly.

Since it was lunch time, Sushi Gen with its mad sashimi-special rush was out (we tried and couldn’t even find parking in the lot). Sushi Komasa is dinner-only (and is nothing special either). And while Hama Sushi was open, it’s not kid-friendly at all: almost all of the seating is at the bar and they have no cooked dishes. The latter meant there’d be nothing for the younger brat who is not yet sushi-curious and also, realistically, for the older brat (for we knew that he’d eat a couple of pieces of sushi and then want something more familiar). We walked around a bit looking for alternatives and decided to go into Tenno Sushi which did not have a wait. This is no temple of sushi—their target audience appears to be tourists wandering Little Tokyo—and the menu is calibrated accordingly: there’s tempura, teriyaki and other cooked dishes (including jalapeno poppers and sesame chicken); and their lineup of bizarro rolls would warm the heart of the average Minnesotan restaurant customer. We mostly got raw fish though.

How was it?

Well, it wasn’t terrible, and nothing was expensive but it’s also not a place to go to if you’re looking for very good sushi. We got their Sakura sushi combo, the Sakana sashimi combo, a teriyaki chicken bowl and an order of yellowtail rolls. The Sakura combo is 2 pcs each of six types of sushi: shrimp, scallop, yellowtail, albacore, salmon and ahi. The Sakana combo is three thick slices each of tuna, salmon, yellowtail and albacore. It was all cookie-cutter and unremarkable and also mostly inoffensive (the exception was my albacore nigiri which was topped with burnt garlic flakes). Of the nigiri the scallop and yellowtail were pretty decent—the scallop superior to that I ate last week at Minneapolis’ altogether more expensive and pretentious Kado no Mise.

Launch the slideshow for not-very-good cellphone pictures and scroll down for price etc.

[slideshow]

All of this, a couple of soft drinks, tax and tip came to $86. Not bad value for two adults and two children but also just a little bit less than we paid at Raku and Sea Harbour for the four of us. Which puts things in perspective. That said, the Sakura combo gives you 12 pieces of just about acceptable sushi (as long as you’re not particular about the rice) for $24 and that’s a pretty good price if what you’re mostly interested in is quantity over quality. As to whether that quality improves if you sit at the bar or order their omakase in the evening, I don’t know but sort of doubt.

Oh yes, you’re probably wondering how the older brat’s first sushi foray went. Well, he loved the cooked shrimp—no surprise. He also liked the yellowtail and the tuna. The yuzu kosho on the scallop was not to his taste and he didn’t like the burnt garlic on the albacore anymore than I did. These he took small bites of before yielding the rest to me. The salmon he didn’t want to try even though he loves cooked salmon. A good first try—we were both proud of him and ambivalent about the increase in expense once/if he gets into sushi for real.

Anyway: only one more meal from our December L.A trip to come. My next meal report, however, will be of a lunch at one of our favourite Twin Cities restaurants.

3 Likes

Why introduce the kid to sushi? We are intentionally and actively steering our Chowpup AWAY from any introduction to sushi - else he’d literally eat into the college fund. He can try sushi on his own dime after he makes partner at the firm.

11 Likes

I ate a lot of AYCE sushi as a kid. The secret is keeping their standards low.

10 Likes

My first sushi experience was at Todai in Torrance lol. I absolutely loved it as a kid. Like 3 plates minimum. Then afterwards we would go to Yaohan Market and I would always head to Kinokuniya for Dragonball (cha la head cha la) or Slam Dunk manga. Always leave with Pocky or mochi.

5 Likes

Mako ala carte would be my choice in Little Tokyo if I was to introduce. Mako embodies omotenashi with a mix of education and history (where do you think n/naka first learned it from?) Stepping into Mako is if being transported straight to Japan.
Buy him a beer and let the good times roll (pun intended). And that Battera Sushi!

This is how we deal with our lot. The oldest is delving into rainbow rolls and starting to develop and affinity for salmon…especially the belly slices.

Ever take the kid to Garlic and Chives for the fried salmon belly?

The AsAm experience…

6 Likes

Still pumps me up to this day!

1 Like

Yeah–it’s a dicey proposition economically. But it’s very sweet too as he’s 75% doing it because he hears his parents talk about how much they love sushi and he’s sort of decided that he wants to be more sophisticated and be the kid who likes sushi. Which is at least better than being the kid who only likes chicken tenders and fries.

3 Likes

Looks like I know where I’m taking him for his birthday in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

lol so true

We made this mistake with our kids. They both love sushi and ask for it twice a week. The AYCE places near us are not good, so we don’t go there. We get sushi 1-2x a month now (down from every 10 days or so) and we’ve changed our ordering methods so we order rolls first (mostly for the kids) and get them full on those, then do a round of sushi and sashimi and they get a couple pieces of each of those. Saves us money that way! :wink:

8 Likes

Or how not to eat sushi! This is not a joke. Just shoot me! Look at Sugar Ray Leonard’s Face.

https://www.sushipopper.com/Default.html

7 Likes

Thank you for posting that. Thank you.

2 Likes

Yuck!

1 Like

Looking into this thread due to a friend asked me to join them at Tenno tonight… I’m trying to kindly say no in the most polite way possible. Where should I point them to an alternative so they can eat something similar but less bad?

*I told him I’ll get him an apology cocktail at Kato bar for dodging his sushi dinner :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My first sushi experiences were in Tokyo and Kyoto so it kinda went downhill after that, until……. an amazing experience at Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills. Since those days (maybe 35 years ago) my standards have broadened and sushi quality in SoCal has vastly improved. Still……. when I have the opportunity to have really high quality sushi the difference is striking.

2 Likes

Just go across the street to Sushi Gen! Easy

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll send them to Sushi Gen from now on. I dodged the bad sushi spot successfully today!!

1 Like