Where should I go for my bday dinner?

Live look in at @linus going to bludso’s

8 Likes

Old Skool version: Master Blaster (photo courtesy of Mad Max Wiki):

4 Likes

yesterday we went with 8 people. 6 cars since everyone wanted to dip after… and 1 scooter…

nobody used valley, nobody walked more than 2 blocks. it’s just part of living in a city… and that is NOT a difficult parking area… we’ve got a lot of those, la brea and beverly is not one of them.

side streets… 4-7 can’t use meters… jsut park on clinton or residential streets until 8

things got meaty

7 Likes

Shhhhhhhh.
Don’t tell ANYONE about BV.
Mum’s the words.
As soon as Gold or Rodell put it out…

1 Like

I’m with you on this one. I don’t give a rat’s ass about all the traffic and parking peeves people like to rant about on FTC. If the chow is worthy there is a way to do it for those who care and dare.

2 Likes

Preach. Chowhound spirit lives on.

My 90 year-old dad would be saying, “Fuck you both.”

Parking issues are a reality that some of us face for many reasons. Why the flippant attitude about this can only be surmised to not facing these issues yourselves. My dad has a placard - see above why it’s often useless. Two blocks for a 90 year-old guy who has physical compromises might as well be the Pacific Ocean.

4 Likes

And for Dad (assuming he’s a Chowhound), his dutiful kids can bring takeout. Or alternatively, be chauffeurs to drop him off right at the restaurant entrance. That’s what I do for my Grandparents.

3 Likes

The valet is like 5 bucks. That’s a parking NON issue. You just drive up and pull into a space of 3 car lengths and someone parks for you.

Alternatively, DeSano has a huge parking lot.

1 Like

That’s what we did with my late MIL. Dropped her off and parked. But, disabilities aside, I think (know?) that people in NYC and SF seem to whine less than other cities’ folks. Walking is just part of our life.

1 Like

Valet is for the weak. :wink:

Sorry - no disrespect meant. Was just saying I (as in just me, not everyone around here) don’t care much about these concerns.

My fucking Dad (a man who ate out almost everyday of his life - usually 2 or 3 times/day until dying last year) could take about 10 steps from a car to a restaurant (before claudication made him stop and rest) for the last 5 years of his life. It was tough and embarrassing for him - and he was nowhere near as old as your old man - but he persevered (and of course refused a walker or wheelchair that would have made him a lot more comfortable AND mobile). We dropped him off. Helped him. Waited for him. Whatever it took. The man still went out.

But enough of this stuff. Back to the chow.

3 Likes

Isn’t already pretty much filled to capacity for dinner? It’s been that way everytime I’ve gone (although there hasn’t been much, or any, wait). Besides, that place being packed might inspire other restauranteurs to open other and good places along that stretch of Wilshire. Such eateries are SORELY needed there, IMHO.

1 Like

yes i never valet… but homeboy is 90

The apple does not fall far from the tree, I see… :slight_smile:

Your filial piety makes you more Asian than so many other peeps I know. Big ups, homie.

2 Likes

Take out is a pretty refular thing. But chauffers? That might be your reality but…

You need to read the OP and why @nosh brought up this issue. And if you did yet still think it’s a non-issue, then try thinking outside your box.

I don’t mean employing Chauncey full-time. I meant having the family act as drivers. Yeesh.

1 Like

Secret free parking lot.

None taken.Totally understand CB. I recall you mentioning your dear father many times. I know your respect for such issues run deep. I brought up my dad in more of an argumentative example. Dropping off in front of the place, handicap parking, valet, and (not me) chauffers are all remedies that are valid and in our methods of dealing with this LA of present.

My dad (and I) are relics of the old LA. It’s wasn’t always this way. @Nemroz questions who lives like this worried about parking?

It’s not so much a question of worrying about it, but how impacted this city has become. And how my dad (and I to a lesser degree) still try living in this ever-shrinking bubble that circumvents or insulated us from issues and areas like this. It’s kinda quixotic, but even in the Westside, it can be done. I can pose a question as well. Who is willing to accept living a life that brings these kinds of issues to bear?

1 Like