Where to buy beef ribs?

Do you have a Foodsaver? I vacuum seal them and freeze them to cook later as it’s too much meat for us as well.

Sorry to jump in late. It may have been discussed already but Costcos around LA have nice cuts of beef for sale on certain weekends. They set up a meat case offering “Prime” stuff like tomahawk ribeyes and short ribs that you can get individually. The regular meat cases were also stocked with a lot of the “road show” cuts and boneless/bone-in prime roasts, etc. leading up to the holidays.

Not sure if this done in SD. If not, talk to mgmt to see if they can bring this road show type of set up into your store (or a store that is located in an area that you think draws a more spendy-type of crowd), or at least offer these cuts in the regular meat cases.

No, but I can wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil … and don’t keep them more than a few weeks. Any thought that it would be better to partially cook first?

I live in south OC, so all four Costcos here are in pretty upscale areas. I see those roadshows only occasionally and they’re usually prime steaks and roasts. There was one for the holidays but I didn’t see any ribs at all. There were some short ribs on the regular case but none with bones. I’m going to try the Westminster biz center in the next few days.

1 Like

Yup. Next time throw up some pictures of what you’re working with.

Try Whole Foods. The short ribs are $8.99 per lb but you can individually choose which ones you want. If you ask the butcher they will get the whole package of ribs and let you choose the meatiest cuts. They were on sale at Brea location last week for $5.99. I bought 9 lbs worth in the morning before I left for mammoth and forgot to reply. If you get meatier cuts I think the price per lb from WF is almost equivalent to what you at other supermarkets with less meat to bone ratio.

I don’t think the Costco prime options are worth it due to the price. I believe the short ribs were either $10.99 or $12.99 per lb.

1 Like

Great lead. Much closer than Costco Biz and the idea of being able to choose is worth a possible price difference. $5.99 isn’t a GREAT price but maybe I’ll find it instead of their normal $$$.

After reading this round and round post with so much good information . Beef ribs are so easy to cook or what other cut or name you have for them . Boogie has great advice . As Bula said go to Costco and get some . Whatever , just salt and pepper . Jump in the pool and cook them , they are going to be great . Enjoy .

1 Like

Sorry about not posting the info but it was a hectic morning getting the kids and the car packed. I just happened to go to WF to grab a few last minute things and saw the beef ribs on sale.

Even at $8.99 per lb being able to buy a smaller quantity and choosing the individual ribs with the most meat makes it worth it for me as well.

ok if you’re willing to spend extra money on being able to choose, go to your nearest Gelsons. They sell individually packed bone in short rib (as in ONE bone) with insane amount of meat on them and super high quality. I think the price is ~$20/lb but it’s the best cut I’ve seen anywhere.

1 Like

A friend just cooked one of those to break in his new sous vide immersion circulator.

They are indeed GLORIOUS!

How did he finish it?

I posted a picture of this upthread. $11/lb

Yes THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

He seared it in a cast iron pan, then portioned it out off the bone.

1 Like

Thanks. I was thinking about trying either that or finish them on a very hot gas grill. I’m guessing either would work.

SE has a pretty compelling sous vide pork rib recipe that you can probably modify for beef purposes. There are those that swear by this.

1 Like

Thanks as always, @Ns1. I’ve been spending a lot of time on SE looking at sous vide ideas, and this looks like it could be a winner.

LGelson’s was closest so I stopped by today. The ribs they had labeled ‘for BBQ’ were the kind I’d generally see with almost no meat. The ribs I bought are shown here. They’re labeled “plate ribs extra lean’ and have bones in them BUT they’re cut into 2” pieces. At $9.99 I figured I could get by without the ‘presentation’ of a longer rib.

I asked the ‘butcher’ if they could do them in a longer rib and he was kind of clueless. Maybe he wasn’t the head guy? I also asked if the BBQ ribs (bones were 6") could be done with more meat left on. He said they are whatever is left when other cuts are worked first. I took that as a ‘no’. No sign of buying ribs individually. Will try WF next time I’m near there.

So… I’m not sure these are exactly what I’ve been looking for but I’ll cook them as if they were. It shouldn’t make a huge difference other than in timing I’d think (since the meat is exposed to a greater degree).

Thanks for all the help and advice. I’m almost there!

Good luck.

FYI: Plate ribs = short ribs. You got English cut ribs, which you would use for braised short ribs. They should cook up just fine though. I’ve done low and slow grilling on English-cut ribs, and they’ve been fine.

As to time, I’m not sure that you’ll have that much of a difference, but you will want to keep an eye on (meat) temp. The reason there probably won’t be much difference is that the full ribs are longer, but they are not wider or thicker. I’ve found that a full prime rib does not take twice as long as one with 3-4 ribs for that reason. Also, it will take time for the connective tissue and collagen to break down, so go low and slow.