Where to eat in SF?

Thanks for the recs, @ipsedixit. :slight_smile:

Question for everyone:

I need a Monday Dinner recommendation.

So many of the restaurants listed here are closed on Monday. Researching the places, it looks like I might have a choice between:

• Liholiho Yacht Club
  • Nopa
  • Bellota

Any other suggestions? (Mourad is out since that Monday it’ll just be 2, and those family style dinners sound like they’re for more people.)

I have Cotogna booked for a Lunch (yay). :slight_smile:

And for a quick lunch on one of the days (1 - 1.5 hours), we’ll be near the Whole Foods and the Children’s Creativity Museum near 4th & Fulsom in downtown SF. It looks like from everyone’s recs…

• Cockscomb - Limited Menu Lunch
  • Bellota

Any other recs you’d choose over these?

Still figuring out the other days.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

You have some great spots to eat at . Sometimes just exploring the city without a clue can be very relaxing . There are tons of places . And also some of the views are world class. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I would do Bellota. Never been to LYC, though.

Consider In Situ. If you are at all intrigued with In Situ, lunch is a nice way to get your feet wet, without totally messing up your bathing suit.

1 Like

Thanks @ipsedixit. :slight_smile:

Yah I was thinking we’d be able to squeeze in Bellota as a lunch instead, and try another place for dinner Monday evening. But I’ll look into In Situ. The website was a bit of a turn off, LOL. At first I couldn’t even find where to go. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, after my meal at In Situ my mind was definitely full, but I was physically starving. (Nothing a fried chicken sandwich from The Bird, nearby, didn’t solve.)

I did, however, very much enjoy SFMOMA.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Can some of you give me your top choices for a proper Mission burrito?

Perbacco, Barbacco, and Triu Normand are open Mondays.

1 Like

It’s not far off from City Hall, if I remember right, but I have to put this in there.

I have eaten there once, ages ago, but it is one of the only times I’ve ever eaten truly upscale and thought “Ok. I get it. This IS double or triple the price of another place, but damn if it isn’t worth it.”

Magnificent steaks. Interesting, but not overwhelming salads. And when I went, little chile chocolate mousse cones for desert. One of the best restaurant experiences I’ve ever had.

1 Like

If you get to North Beach . The $ 5 focaccia from the Liguria Bakery , wonderful . The ladies wrapping your bread in paper and tying up with string . Peeking back into history ; with the the oven in the in the back of the bakery over a 100 yrs old . Priceless .
Next should be a espresso at Cafe Graffeo .

2 Likes

I wanted to wait until after my dinner at in situ to answer this. I had one of my best meals in awhile there (review shortly) and would recommend it for lunch over cockscomb with two caveats:

1. It isn’t cheap, expect to pay around 100pp for lunch.
  2. The menu changes often and while my dinner last night was amazing, my lunch there a few months ago was good to very good.
    WSJ: Chef Corey Lee’s Imitation Game - #12 by PorkyBelly - San Francisco Bay Area - Food Talk Central
    WSJ: Chef Corey Lee’s Imitation Game - #14 by PorkyBelly - San Francisco Bay Area - Food Talk Central
1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Wow, very nice! :slight_smile: Darn, now I have to rethink my lunch plans. :wink:

To clarify, I see a pic and it says “momofuku ssam bar”. Is this all at In Situ? Or are these from different restaurants you went to? Thanks.

Yes, they’re all from in situ. Their whole thing/gimmick is to replicate famous dishes from around the world, all with the blessing from the original chef. They’re like a greatest hits cover band, and depending on who they cover, for example from last night, Amber, Daniel, Gion Sasaki, Au Pied de Cochon, Osteria Francescana, and Tickets, the results can be spectacular.

1 Like

They also have some local stuff from less famous places.

Oh one other thing:

How long would Lunch take at In Situ? Thanks.

Hi @beefnoguy,

How about first thing in the morning when they open (8 a.m.)? Is the line also bad?

About 1.5 hours.

Weekday mornings and surprisingly in my experience, weekdays between 2-3 p.m.

And before you go, make sure to check they are open.

By the way, not sure which hotel you’re staying at, but I always ask my concierge to have a box delivered to my room in the morning. Nothing like an egg tart wake-up call!

1 Like

In Situ also has a different menu in the lounge.

1 Like

And here it is

1 Like

I think you can get out in about 1.5 hours, just let the server know you’re on a schedule.

1 Like