Where to eat in SF?

La Ciccia for me. I am taking a friend from LA next week. The food is Sardinian, which is perhaps fairly unique, and the restaurant has local neighborhood
charm.

Though personally I am not very interested in Lazy Bear and I had a slight issue with Quince so it’s been a while since I’ve been there. Someone with more recent experience may be able to give a more informed opinion.

1 Like

La Ciccia.

1 Like

La ciccia. Nothing at lazy bear or quince really wowed me like the baby octopus stew and the spicy spaghetti bottarga at la ciccia. Plus, it’ll be half the price and you won’t need a burrito after dinner.

I’m still looking for a spaghetti with bottarga as good as la ciccia’s in la.

1 Like

It makes me so sad any time I read about how good their meal was. Four or five years ago I met a friend in the city (Asian dumpling cooking class). I got us a res for La Ciccia. Her brother joined us and we agreed to share our food. What a mistake. They were/are totally unadventuresome eaters. I no longer remember what we had but it was totally disappointing. MUST make it back some day.

If that’s your focus, then based on your choices listed, La Ciccia.

1 Like

Hi @ipsedixit,

Or if you think there’s something that’s just done better in that list? I don’t mind that either. :slight_smile:

Consider Khai, which I mentioned earlier.

Unless I’ve been living in a different Los Angeles than you, I don’t think Khai is something you would easily find in Southern CA.

1 Like

Thanks @ipsedixit. What’s the pricing on their tasting menus? Looks really interesting (I must’ve missed that post earlier). Thanks.

If I recall correctly from my last visit it was $95 for 10-11 courses (depending on the menu as it varies).

1 Like

I had one of my favorite meals of late at Quince last March. The food isn’t ground breaking, but it is tasty and executed very well. Together with the service it was an amazing experience.

1 Like

Three Michelin stars are supposed to guarantee excellent execution and service, as should a price tag of $250 before supplements, wine, water, tax, and tip.

The Michelin / World’s 50 Best stuff is something you can get around here that you can’t in LA, though Vespertine makes Atelier Crenn look like Tadich Grill.

Hi @robert,

What did you think of Quince? Thanks.

I’ve never been to Quince, it’s not my kind of place. Michelin nonsense aside, I prefer Italian food without French influence.

I love their Italian restaurant, Cotogna, next door, but it’s kind of similar to Osteria Mozza, so not as different from what you can get in LA as La Ciccia.

1 Like

This is true, but I’ve had my fair share of poorly executed dishes and shoddy service at starred places in SF.

@ipsedixit @robert @PorkyBelly and others, any new bakeries in SF worth a visit? Thanks!

Also @beefnoguy and everyone it’s hilarious and sad every time I’m in SF, Golden Gate Bakery is “on vacation” or closed! ,:frowning:

I can’t find the IG story but I’m pretty sure it was Hangry Diary. She posted a sign on Golden Gate Bakery that they were on vacation for 3 weeks. The story was from this weekend. There were no dates - just said on vacation for 3 weeks. Just in case anybody was planning on going in the near future.

Next time you come, check out Is the Golden Gate Bakery Open Today?

The post on Nov 2 (latest) says they are closed 3 to 5 weeks. I guess that’s your best way to find out in advance.

At this rate, it may not be worth the bother. Last time while I really enjoyed the egg tarts, the 1+ hour wait was not that worthwhile, plus they scaled down a lot of their offerings. But then I did luck out last year when I walked in 30 mins before closing and there were no people, and they still had freshly baked ones out of the oven. At this rate, not worth making a special trip to Chinatown, unless you are on the way to places like Mister Jiu’s, China Live (god forbid), Kusakabe, Quince, Comstock Saloon, Trestle, Roka Akor etc.

1 Like

I enjoyed the soft serve at tartine manufactory. And speaking of soft serve, the soft serve at gott’s is excellent.

20171116_065215

1 Like

Holy shit, someone needs to get some calamine lotion for that burn!