Where to find really great conchas (pan dulce)?

Okay, I’m completely obsessed with conchas, you know the pan dulce that looks sort of like a shell. I usually buy them at La Monarca and Northgate. I’m going to be in Boyle Heights tomorrow, paying respects to my great-grandmother at Evergreen Cemetery. Is there a bakery you’d recommend for really great conchas in East LA? Many thanks!!

I found this photo of conchas on Tumblr, but no photography credits were given.

El Gallo (on Caesar Chavez Blvd, near McDonnell)

I like La Mascota Bakery.

http://www.lamascotabakery.com

@ipsedixit I haven’t been to El Gallo in years - before the latent concha obsession emerged. Great idea! It’s pretty near Zacatecas Raspados - if I recall correctly. I really dig the rompope there.

@thechez5 I’ve been meaning to go to La Mascota for years. I need to get there stat! Well I’ll definitely visit one of these fine establishments this weekend, that’s for sure.

They go really well with the Champurrado. Just need the weather to cool down. I also like their oatmeal cookies (forget the Mexican name).

I can’t even contemplate champurrado right now. Bring on El Nino - in theory, that is.

I went to La Mascota this afternoon and bought chocolate and vanilla conchas. I was a little sad that they didn’t have the garish pink ones that I love - not that they taste better, but they’re a holdover from my childhood. The chocolate concha had almost a roasted chocolate flavor, which really blew me away. The balance was perfect with the intense topping and the very lightly flavored bread. Definitely the best conchas I’ve had thus far. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

I really liked the service. The guy that helped me was so enthusiastic about their products. I ended up buying some cheese tamales too to store in the freezer, but begged off on the champurrado. It’s still not cool enough to partake of this rich, hearty drink.

Thanks again to @thechez5 and @ipsedixit. I’ll definitely get back to El Gallo one of these days.

Chocolate concha? I did not know such a thing existed!

I think I know what’s next on my shopping list… : )

Only the topping is chocolate-flavored. The bread is made out of the regular, lightly-sweetened dough.

Glad you liked La Mascota! I really enjoy that chocolate concha, as well. I need to try their tamales. Heard so many good things about them.

Still - chocolate flavored topping! Well worth a try - thank you!