Where would you go to a grab a nice mixed drink or cocktails that's not quite that pretentious but not necessarily a dive bar ? so it's not like you have to wait and deal with the newest hot spot part of the mixology movement?

would this joint even exist ???

so you can have a couple mixed drinks not feel rushed and grab a potential bar stool.

i’m thinking my request might not even really exist.

but then again thought i’d ask you the trusty fucking crew what they thought.

thanks guys.

Cole’s

2 Likes

Seconded. Excellent drinks.

I liked the drinks I tried at Broken Spanish (Chef Ray Garcia’s new spot in Downtown LA).

I heard some of the bartenders there were under the tutelage of one of those famous mixologists, but it was never “rushed”.

You can also order the full menu from the bar.

I heard its sister restaurant B.S. Taqueria also had a pretty decent bar program with great drinks (haven’t tried that yet).

I’ll visit LA less frequently now that King Eddys has turned into . What the fuck .

Burgundy room. Very chill. Dark. No tv. No food. Just drinking. Cahuenga. .

mini bar.

normandie club.

And per @skusrecenteats, Copper Still.

LBH, there aren’t too many places in DTLA left to saddle up to the bar and enjoy a leisurely time caressing your glass. Little Easy(?) is still sorta tranquil, but the cocktails are meh.

1 Like

too bad that the air conditioned lounge on pico closed…

1 Like

Ooh, I like sound of that.

Opens 8pm

Coles sounds good. I visited the newly revamped joint by the fucking cedd Moses crew on opening day back in 08/09.

Solid drinks. And not to cute for school if you meant Coles main bar rather than The Varnish.

But The Varnish might work on a week nigh earlier in the week. And they do whipp up some creative cocktails.

I just thiught Bar Toscana might work too.

Please tell me more about the Burgundy Room and Minibar.

Oh and Birch prolly won’t work but that rabbit Napoleon surely will.

It’s quite the experience to drink in splendor even if I lack sartorial sensibilities and that unique hipness factor, am balding as we speak and getting older as the days seemingly become but a ephemeral, fleeting memory.

Which joint opens at 8 ???

yknow that joint on melrose makes a pretty decent drink and seemed pretty low key. melrose umbrella company or something like that.
havent been in a year or so.

ive always enjoyed the classics at coles; especially as an appetizer before heading into the varnish.

Ingo’s. They make excellent drinks and it’s happy hour ($6) until 7.

Pattern Bar downtown (also that one around the corner on Hill - can’t remember the name, ever) edit: Stocking Frame.

I don’t like Bar Toscana - expensive and tiny pours.

Another vote for Normandie Club.

The omakase drink flights in the Walker Inn part of the bar is probably too twee for what you’re looking for (really excellent drinks and service tho), but the main part of the bar is pretty laid back.

copa d oro

The Proper in La Canada Flintridge. Crowded but not sceney because it’s so far off the beaten path for “scenes”. Great cocktail program, though, and a pretty amazing gin selection.

1 Like

i’ll second the proper. they make a good drink, although, yeah, it is a little way out there.

I’ll add the Abbey in WeHo

burgundy room