Where's kevin

Not me. That took guts.

Bummer. But why is what I want to know?

1 Like

That’s funny cath.

I haven’t checked in here for a while. It’s turned into the in memoriam thread.

1 Like

Perhaps just putting things in perspective?

It basically came down to a difference of opinion as to whether we should merge FTC with Hungry Onion.

I don’t necessarily agree with him, but I respect his opinion and miss his posts.

1 Like

In perspective or in memoriam… they both seem like January things to do.

Discourse said merging the two boards was technically impossible.

The alternative was shutting down this board and redirecting people over there, and people here didn’t express any enthusiasm for that idea.

I totally don’t mean the following as a modertion thing… But, if people want to remember other posters, maybe we could set up threads for that? I suggest it only b/c I’m a relatively new poster (relative to the older timers!), and it’s actually really lovely to hear stories about posters that make the handles and avatars “real people.” I also just love back stories. :slight_smile:

Some might think it morose, but I think a thread about “History of CH → FTC and the people who made it possible” and/or “Posters we knew, loved, and lost” would be a nice way for other people to learn about them and would be a lovely (if small) tribute.

4 Likes

As I said, I have nothing but love for Porthos, but I did not agree with him, as evidenced by the fact that I am still here and financially supporting the cause.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Other posters have tried to explain it to me. But it all seems kind of vague… even his own posts about it. It’s just so weird, because he seemed to love posting here and was very prolific. How does one just stop cold turkey? That’s rhetorical btw.

I don’t get the sense that it was an easy decision for him. He did comment to me, however, that it was really nice being able to sit down and enjoy a meal without having to worry about photographing it. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s funny. It is a bit of an addiction. I used to forget I even had a camera on my phone, and used to roll my eyes when I saw people taking food pictures. I don’t think I’ve ever posted a picture with my Yelp reviews. Then I started food talking…

Was this the big discussion that seemed to be about which site owner ‘owned’ the contributed posts of users? I never really understood how that was such a big deal.

3 Likes

Yes, and neither did I.

I think Porthos thought it was something like that, but that was no obstacle to shutting this site down and redirecting to HO.

This site’s terms of service explicitly disclaim any copyright over posts. HO’s terms of service say posts there are subject to the Creative Commons 3.0 license.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode

1 Like

Without ANY desire to re-open this discussion, I’d just like to know who are the licensor and licensee covered by that license. Could be three entities involved: Discourse>FTC>users like me. I’m assuming it’s the latter two, but want to be sure. Thanks.

Discourse is just hosted software.

There’s no license on this site. Much of the terms of service is boilerplate that comes with the software.

Hungry Onion’s terms of service give everyone in the world the right to copy anything you post there so long as they meet the requirements of the Creative Commons 3.0 license. I’m not sure if that was Discourse boilerplate or if they added it.

1 Like

It did take some guts.

And I viewed the scene again, she’s a beaut. And spoiler alert:

The curtains do match the drapes.

What that mean ?

Each individual user has the copyright to whatever they as individuals post here ?