Where's kevin

.[quote=“foodshutterbug, post:100, topic:2093, full:true”]
James Joyce used Kevin’s favorite swear word in his literary works, albeit judiciously
[/quote]
James Joyce also wrote like a little kid in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. But that doesn’t mean that any random little kid can write like James Joyce. I have nothing against the word “fuck,” but I don’t think using it is in and of itself indicative of intelligence or literacy. And neither does the article Plumeria linked to.

1 Like

OMG.

What happened ?

I liked this guy, is this the old kevin from the old board ?

Glad I found the board. He’s quite a colorful character.

Who else is here

2 Likes

ipsedixit,

I really miss Kevin’s posts. The fact that he was posting here is the main reason I wanted to participate on this site. Although, I often don’t share his taste, I enjoyed his prose style, the time he took to share his experiences and viewpoints and how he was always courteous to others.

You did single him out. You asked him to defend his use of the word fuck. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else has been singled out for their posting style and there are very rude posters on this board, mainly people who sneer at anyone with a different opinion than theirs.

Your comparison of Kevin’s use of the word fuck to showing up at a party naked doesn’t work. Anyone who doesn’t want to read Kevin’s posts doesn’t have to. Reading is an active act. You have to choose to read a post. Seeing is not an active act. You cannot help but see that which is within your line of vision.

1 Like

ipsedixit didn’t ask Kevin to defend all the fucks, he asked Kevin if he could explain them so that ipsedixit could defend them to the people who complained, or if Kevin could tone it down.

Kevin could just have said “I would prefer not to,” or not responded at all, and gone on as usual. Maybe he left because he felt like his act was too hip for the room.

1 Like

Defend/explain, tomato, tomahto. The point is that there is at least as much censorship if not more in this board as on Chowhound. It’s like the Puritans coming to America to escape religious persecution only to impose it with greater vigor.

2 Likes

The only posts moderators remove here are ones where users are calling each other names, trolling, and that kind of nonsense. We’re not particularly strict about it and people mostly keep it civil.

Looking at the Flags report, in the past three months I see six posts were flagged by users as inappropriate and removed. We haven’t suspended or banned anyone, not even the user who wrote five of those six posts.

4 Likes

I think for the fact there was a pretty lengthy thread about this issue (some posters openly complaining about kevin’s F-bomb v. those defending kevin/it’s use) says a lot about how light of a hand the Mods have on this site. That thread would never have existed on CH because the F-bomb posts would have been deleted and Kevin or anyone else using them would have ended up in the stockades or been banished for CH eternity.

I really miss kevin’s posts as well. I think he’s a great guy with a great talent. I get the feeling he left on his own accord and probably because he didn’t want to raise anymore hackles.

2 Likes

All very well put.
I saw him last week. He’s out chowing like all of us, just not posting.
But he’s lurking here…how the fuck else is he gonna know were the fuck to go chow.

4 Likes

That F-in’ lurking bimbo! :wink: Hope he is well.

1 Like

Love a good Puritan reference. I don’t agree with the comparison. But that tickled me.

Glad I found the Kevin post. I was curious about Kevin’s “fucks”. When I first read his posts I thought he was a troll and couldn’t figure out why people were just ignoring his profanity. I was too new to realize he was a regular member and that was just his thing. I then started to think he was using “fuck” a lot to express his freedom on FTC and as an F.U. to the moderators on Chowhound. Or maybe he has turrets and posters just accept his quirk. Someone mentioned he was like a kid discovering a swear word for the first time and trying to use it as much as possible… Could be. Whatever it is he’s not saying… Or not writing it anyway.

1 Like

As I noted above, it was clearly a stylistic choice, since his longer reviews were written in a different style.

Tourette syndrome does not affect typing.

I know… It was a joke.
Sorry. Bad spelling. Tourette Syndrome

Yeah, when kevin was in “potty-mouth” mode, I considered that casual conversation time. Buddies hanging out, puttin’ down some cold ones and shootin’ the breeze. No harm from my perspective. The table was open to everyone - pull up a chair. If this wasn’t your kind of conversation, so be it. No insult intended, and none taken.

When kevin was in pen-to-paper mode, he was on. I can picture him at his writing stand by candle light with quill in hand, pulling back a curly roll of parchment paper, transcribing his thoughts with extraordinary flourish.

I hope he returns from his self-imposed exile. He is missed by many.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to see @kevin back along with as many fucking fucks as he needs to feel at home.

5 Likes

Fuuuuuuck yeah…

2 Likes

He let everyone know what he was about from the beginning . His very first post read . " Testing the fuck meter ". With nothing but fuck written .

2 Likes

I believe you are writing about the Salinger of Food Talk Central.

I hope kevin doesn’t make us wait 30 years before being heard from again. Life’s short kevin - screw the naysayers - come back home so we can all drink from the well.

1 Like

It wasn’t that simple. It was also the crazy punctuation, asking the same questions every 2-3 weeks, the trolling for where to find prostitutes at Mastro’s threads every month.

Especially taken in light of the eloquent posts, it was curious. And when asked to explain why, the response was I don’t have to explain myself. It didn’t have to be all or nothing but it was his prerogative if that’s the way he wanted to respond.

Just like how we all decided to pack up and leave CH instead of staying around for any regulation.

I know Westsidegal would like to claim cyber bulling but it was more like asking someone to use an indoor voice indoors. No one asked or even wanted him to leave.

4 Likes