Where's kevin

thank you maccrogenoff for your insightful and thoughtful post and for pointing out the FALSE EQUIVALENCE that someone was trying to float [quote=“maccrogenoff, post:154, topic:2093”]
Kevin is kinder than many people who are not censored on this board. He never put down people who disagreed with him and when he asked for recommendations, he got us all thinking about all our favorite places, not just the recently opened restaurants.
[/quote]

3 Likes

I found this thread after stumbling on one of Kevin’s posts here. I saw him on CH also. I think I use profanity with a great deal of aplomb :slight_smile: but his was as was said “gratuitous.” Juvenile IMO. It was irritating. Punctuation was ridiculous. People can have great ideas/opinions but if their presentation is so offputting they’ll lose their audience. My two cents.

1 Like

Kevin can fucking write & if u think otherwise u no 0

1 Like

You make my point so much better than I did. When you write “Kevin can fucking write” you add emphasis. You quantify perhaps. Not like “he can write well” or “he writes okay” but he “can fucking write.” But if every thing you wrote included “fucking” it would become meaningless at best, annoying and for some offensive. I don’t get offended but it’s eye rolling annoying. These boards are for information sharing and if one’s style is offputting then your message doesn’t get to as many people.

1 Like

As noted above, when he seriously reviewed a place, he didn’t do it in that character. Maybe nobody got whatever joke? he was making.

Hi @catholiver - Little piece of advice from a relatively new member as well. Don’t get into the “kevin” debate. It’s a trap and you can’t win. They’re really passionate about this “kevin” thing. Some people were really put off by him, and some are vehemently protective of him. And both will end up being some of your FTC friends :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

“kevin” appears to be doing more than fine. What I want to know is where’s @Porthos??

1 Like

The discussion wouldn’t make much sense to a new member unless they read some pretty old posts.

i’m coming to this tangentially via a post about the prospects of merging this board with the hungry onion board. i actually wasn’t aware that that board existed previously so i explored their board.

i couldn’t help but notice how kevin’s choice of writing style was a polarizing issue there as well, i don’t recall if he was explicitly identified in the following thread, but to me it was fairly obvious it was pretty much about kevin’s choice of behavior.

also, in threads about a potential merger, it was apparent to me that a significant percentage of the hungry onion posters had/would have had issue with kevin’s writing style.

personally, i consider profanity the refuge of the inarticulate - something kevin clearly is not. i don’t know kevin well, but he sent me a friend request on FB which i accepted during that brief time we sojourned there after the CH exodus, and through FB, i let him know that i found his use of the f-word to be somewhat tedious and i left it at that. he’s commented on food photo’s i’ve posted on FB since then.

his choice of writing style is his prerogative, but it was a deliberate choice. it may have started as an inside joke shared with the CH old timers. but it stopped being that long ago; at least one other person in this thread assumed that kevin was genuinely somehow deficient in memory by his choice to repeat certain questions ad nauseum - an assumption i couldn’t fault. i can’t help but draw the conclusion that kevin knew exactly what he was doing, and at some level, he has/had an agenda. as such, it was reasonable for some to object.

1 Like

[quote=“secretasianman, post:170, topic:2093”]
personally, i consider profanity the refuge of the inarticulate
[/quote] My dad used to say something similar. As a result, I always get mad at myself when I express anger by swearing.

Somewhere scouring the ends of the earth in his bespoke Bombardier, questing for those last few cases of '47 Cheval Blanc…

1 Like

actually, it’s a take on a quote from issac asimov’s foundation series: “violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.”

rather than suggest that something tasted like s–t, i would probably refer to it as an excremental excuse for a meal.

1 Like

Oh love it @J_L ! I hope you are right.

[quote=“secretasianman, post:173, topic:2093”]
“violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.”
[/quote] “last” maybe. If you strike first, that makes you a badass. Oh shit… I swore again. Sorry dad!

Are we talking about Kevin from KevinEats? I wish that guy would use “fucking” in place of his other adjectives.

1 Like

Different guy

(I know. Just trying, unnecessarily, to lighten the mood.)

3 Likes

Your very presence does that.

Where’s this fucking guy ?

I remember him. The chowhound guy ?

He’s definitely a fun poster.

2 Likes

Kevin again? Will somebody please find this guy already?

2 Likes