Where's you favorite fucking Dan Tats?

microwaving them restores a lot of that. barring that, you could stick one under your arm and ferment the thing as well.

i don’t miss CH at all.

2 Likes

what the fuck is CH ???

kah week is dope for fucking grab and go ???

thanks.

Perhaps you need to visit the shower more frequently?

2 Likes

and lose all those natural oils and luster?

i tried that once. no one told me i had to disrobe first.

2 Likes

Anyone try Supita on Sawtelle?

https://instagram.com/supitaus?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

4 Likes

I went today around 12:30pm and the shelves were empty because they were still bagging the pastries… (they open at noon). 2 people working and they definitely could use some help.

I got 2 regular, 2 egg white, and 2 Portuguese egg tarts. The egg white and Portuguese tarts were still warm to touch. I’ve never had an egg white tart before, so a first for me. I like it but prefer the regular, give me the yolk! Regular > egg white > Portuguese is my ranking. They nail the flakiness of the regular egg tarts whereas the Portuguese one was lacking in flakiness and caramelization.

Also got a mini hot dog bun, almond dessert soup (prepackaged) and HK milk tea (prepackaged). Milk tea is pricy for $6 for maybe 8oz, but it’s delicious and takes me back to HK. Hot dog bun also fluffy and I like the smaller size. Saving the almond dessert for later.

Overall would return for a regular egg tart and once they start rolling out drinks, like HK lemon tea. I do think they need to work on packaging because egg tarts can be easily squashed in the container.

9 Likes

Thanks for the report. Yeah, based on the pics, the regular ones are the only ones I would considering eating. Those white ones are really creepy-looking! :smiley:

When you say “prepackaged” for the almond soup, are they still made in house?

Yes made in house and packaged for sale each day, including red bean soup, tofu pudding (with syrup sauce), walnut soup, and black sesame soup desserts. Same with the bottled milk tea and coffee. Their drink menu screens were down today and my parking meter was about to expire so only grabbed the bottled milk tea to go, but believe they do fresh drinks.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: For a moment there I seriously thought Kevin was back. Carry on.

4 Likes

Okay, I don’t know anything about walnut soup, but the rest of the stuff is like my childhood!!! How am I only hearing about this place now??? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hasn’t been open that long. WLA outpost of Alhambra’s Simply Splendid, known for their well, egg white tarts. Also for their “tune buns” , as described by a faded cardboard sign which has been there for probably 10 years. David R. Chan on Instagram: "Simply Splendid in Alhambra still has their large "Tune Buns" (sic)"

2 Likes

Is that what they’re “actually” called??? (I assume not, based on your quotation marks)

I LOVED those as a kid. A little heavy for me now in middle age, but I still wouldn’t mind eating a snip or two…

Tuna bun, Tuna fish bun is a Hong Kong-style fish bun. It is a bun that contains tuna paste. It is commonly found in Hong Kong. 吞拿魚包

Okay, seriously, could you stop cutting and pasting from other places w/o giving the source? I think people have already asked you multiple times to stop that. Cutting and pasting w/o attribution is (1.) considered plagiarizing, which isn’t cool; and (2.) leaves out a lot of useful info.

Also, did you click on @chandavkl’s link? B/c what’s pictured there usually doesn’t contain tuna and looks nothing like what’s pictured in the Wikipedia post that you’ve cut and paste from.

What’s pictured in @chandavkl’s link looks, to me, like a sesame seed dessert ball.

1 Like

It’s actually like a tuna salad bun. Not uncommon in the US, both LA and NY.

2 Likes

Oh, weird!!! Then I stand corrected (but I still think @hal should provide attribution info).

Is the shell the same as it is for a dessert ball?

1 Like

Tuna buns are usually made with the same bun dough as char sui bao etc. Jian dui/sesame balls are made with flour from sticky rice giving them that mochi consistency.

Oh, I know what you’re talking about. I think I actually might’ve had some (maybe w/ other fillings b/c my dad really did/does like those kind of things).

Do tuna buns normally have a ton of sesame seeds on them, though? B/c the pictured Alhambra bun was littered w/ sesame seeds and that was totally throwing me off. :wink: I’m used to buns w/ savory fillings being a bit… flatter?

I haven’t had a tuna bun in a long time but I don’t remember it having jian dui amounts of sesame seeds on it. Although if you peruse google quite a few of the images have sesame seeds.

1 Like

Thank you! That would explain Supita’s packaging pastries saying “Simply Splendid.” The egg tart box does say Supita. A bit confusing for those who don’t know about the co-branding (i.e. me).