Whittier/La Mirada/La Habra/Brea - Need new neighborhood suggestions

Yep… It’s a trade off. Not as many hip restaurants in Whittier. But it’s quieter, streets are wider, less traffic. One of my Whittier peeps commented “But there is still gang activity here.” I was like “Really? We live off La Brea! Don’t be fooled by the hipness. There’s just as much crazy.” I love my 'hood. But the traffic and the a-holes are really trying…

2 Likes

Kentro Greek Kitchen

Downtown Fullerton. I know I know douchey neighbors and location but seriously they are doing good stuff. Also the coffee, wines, and beer are all Greek. Be sure to try the spreads! Hardest menu to properly pronounce.

@OCSteve @js76wisco @attran99 and other OC’ers.

3 Likes

I’ve been and enjoyed it. I’m hardly ever in that neighborhood anymore, but I may have t stop in soon. Thanks!

Had a mediocre lunch there and wrote it off, dry chicken and everything just tasted like lemon. Didnt try the the spreads so may have just been ordering error.

It seems that Katsuji Tanabe (of Top Chef and MexiKosher fame) is opening up a chops and whiskey place in Whittier. I’d have gone on Friday when they were doing their promotion, but the E-mail was sent at 5:40PM and I didn’t check my mail until about 9;00PM…and we had holiday parties to go to this weekend.
I may give it a go this weekend. Prices seem super reasonable.
I also love that J Gold also gave some love to the Thomas Ortega properties recently. I love Amor Y Tacos in Cerritos…but now my wait may get longer.
It’s nice to see more coverage of the neighborhood I work and live in. I just wish it would happen on a more regular basis.

1 Like

The L.A. Times just did a small write up on the growing KTown in Buena Park. Some are new, some are old.

Speaking of Buena Park, my favorite teriyaki bowl is now at Wagyu Meat and Grill.

As the name suggests, the use Japanese Wagyu in their prepared food, as well as offering butchered cuts.

Wagyu Meat and Grill in Buena Park.

Happen to be in the area. It is right across from The Source in Fuddruckers lot.

Got the Beef Plate. First bite of the beef was…damn am I in a casual joint??? Incredibly tender and flavorful. No need to drown in hot sauce and teriyaki sauce, but I did find just a slight drizzle of the House teriyaki enhances.

So good I got myself a second order, a Beef Bowl.
Those escabeche onions are good too! Beef and onions go so good together.

4 Likes

I still like Maitiki, Mos 2, and Tikiyaki though!

Fatima’s Grill (Downey) A fixture getting coverage for the area. I don’t need the hot Cheetos concoctions, but the Halal options are the recipes of the owner’s grandmother.

Next time you’re there, head up the block to Tropicana Bakery and Cafe. Really good Cuban sloppy joe’s.

1 Like

I’ve been there. Didn’t know about the Cuban sloppy joes. Will make a point of it next time. The idea fascinates me.

Also noteworthy, Puzzle Bar in La Mirada is closing up shop and joining up with the Wolves Den in Downtown L.A. Tomorrow (May 8th) is the last night of service.

And in that same area (Downey), the steak fries drowned in the housemade Aji sauce at Toyitos Chicken calls to me like a Pavlovian whistle for homo sapiens.

1 Like

interesting mix of 3 cultures; lebanese, mexican, and…prison; i was surprised to learn how creative they can be to help break up the monotony with the few things they can purchase from the prison canteen.

i think he means the frita cubana.

I’m a creature of habit when it comes to sandwiches of the Cuban variety…I love me a medianoche. I guess I’ll be trying something new the next time I find myself at the Tropicana.

in downey, portos probably gets most of the cuban food traffic whether they deserve it or not. their prices keep creeping up.

Help, save us from Quiet Canyon in Montebello!

We’re planning a med school graduation party. Dad & I were thinking something young and hip on the Westside. But that won’t work with the grands and underagers. Can anyone recommend a cool restaurant or event space in the area?

1 Like

@TheCookie do you have any specific guidelines in mind? i.e. size, budget, cuisine, full bar, or just beer & wine, etc.
However, Bizarra Capital (Whittier) and Amor Y Tacos (Cerritos) immediately come to mind. They both don’t have private rooms to host a party, but they could rope off a section for your needs. The menus at both are interesting and they both offer full bar.
Closer to Quiet Cannon (and I’ve been there so I understand your plight), there’s Dal Rae and Clearman’s Steak ‘N Stein in Pico Rivera (southwest of the Montebello area). That’s if you want to go the steakhouse route. I’m more of a Steak ‘N Stein fan than Dal Rae, but Dal Rae looks nicer…if you want aesthetics. Full bars available at both places and they are big enough so you could have an entire section of the restaurant.
If you want something younger and more hip, there’s Lock & Key Social Drinkery in Downey (a hop, skip, and a jump away from Porto’s). The cocktails, whiskey, and beer selection here is impressive…and the food is pretty good, too. Think gastropub, so it’s more casual. It’s not terribly big, but they could work with you if given enough notice.
I’ve got some beer and wine only recs, but I’m not sure if you want to go down that road. La Tavolata (Artesia) makes their own fresh pasta daily and charges about $14 a plate. While not as delightful as Pasta Sisters, it comes very close…they often run out of their smoked chicken tortellini by dinner. They take reservations so you could easily set something up with them.
I’ve got plans to try Crooked Gaff Kitchen (Portsmouth’s replacement) or The Nixon Chops & Whiskey (Katsuji Tanabe’s place) this weekend.

3 Likes