Whole Foods + Prime

I scored an entire plate of short ribs from WF using my Prime discount. The organic and humanly-raised beef short ribs was on sale for $5.99 per lb. If I’m lucky, my local Spouts has just their regular short ribs on sale for that price. Going to try smoking these suckers a la APL this week.
Air-chilled organic whole chickens were on sale for $1.79 per lb., too.

5 Likes

i got some wild 10/20 ct scallops this week for 12.99/lb, regular 22.99/lb.

3 Likes

Whenever these go on sale for $5.99 I load up and freeze them. They had the whole plate uncut in the back? I’m going to to tonight and see if I can get me one of these.

0 Likes

@js76wisco The plate was cut in half and vacuumed sealed.

1 Like

thanks for the heads up - guess I gotta start using the app.

1 Like

This article is not really indicative since they are buying a fixed basket of goods.

I am a prime subscriber and have found if you strategically buy things when on sale you can actually save a good amount of money. Each week there are always a few good proteins on sale. I stock up and freeze at least 1-2 servings. This week it was pork ribs and short ribs. We buy whatever fruits and veggies are on sale. I think the fruit and veggies are much better quality than what we get at Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, Costco or Albertson. We end up paying a very similar price when you only buy sale items + extra 10% off.

5 Likes

Final product

I’m probably going to make this more often if I can find the short ribs for sale…I may go back tomorrow to get a couple more plates.
FYI - The Prime deals end on Tuesdays, so April 9th is the last day for this deal.

10 Likes

How did you smoke them (time/temp)? I’ve had great luck with them, too. Usually 5-6 hours at 225-250.

0 Likes

APL’s recipe has it smoking at 250 for 5 hours, then wrapped in foil at 275 with a sauce for 45 minutes, and then unwrapped back at 250 for another 45 minutes. Rest wrapped and covered for 30 minutes.
The wrapping and unwrapping bit was extra work that I wish I could have skipped, but it was really necessary since the first 5 hours (and the wrapped 45 minutes) hadn’t cooked it enough for the ribs to protrude so cleanly.

2 Likes

Sumo mandarins at $2.49 / pound with Amazon Prime. Definitely the lowest price I’ve ever seen for them.

2 Likes

I wrap my baby backs in butcher paper for the 4th of about 5 hours of cooking. I think it’s worth the extra effort.

I will definitely be trying this. the only challenge is that everyone else in the house prefers pork ribs.

0 Likes

They were so good on their own, but the family enjoyed the lettuce wraps with the drippings/board sauce, rice, and Costco Asian slaw. I added cilantro to the drippings/board sauce and sesame oil instead of butter to the wrapping sauce.
The oldest chowpup enjoyed gnawing the bones.

2 Likes

How terrific is this thread? Thanks to @attran99, I picked up some short ribs, which I will prepare a la Mozza. I also picked up scallops (thanks @PorkyBelly), which I’m not sure what I will do with.

Finally, I picked up a pound of Mary’s chicken livers so I can begin trying to recreate Sotto’s liver ragu for @TheCookie. This one may take a while, be patient. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I went back to get another plate of short ribs and they had cut them all. No vacuumed sealed whole plates left :sob:
But I picked up some more chickens that I’m going to brine and smoke this weekend.

0 Likes

I just went to the El Segundo branch and they had a lot of vacuum sealed plates. I picked up 2 four pound plates that I’m smoking for Easter.

3 Likes

Lucky! Huntington Beach and Long Beach had cut the last of what they had left in stock. I had Brea check for me.

0 Likes

Yes, my shortribs were cut, but it’s okay because I am braising.

1 Like

Not WF, but Beef Palace in HB has always had them frozen when I’ve gone it. It may be worth a call to them if you’re really craving them. They are not cheap, but they’re worth it when I’m craving them.

1 Like

I can source them from The Butchery and my butcher at Stater Bros. or Costco. I just need to give them a little notice. Was hoping to take advantage of the sale price for our Easter meal.

1 Like

No dice on plate short ribs @ WF Burbank. Also sold out of scallops

0 Likes