Why LA Is the Best Eating City in America

And no mention of Pico besides Apple Pan.

What! I have to finish this article. Pico is practically all we’ve been talking about lately.

Pico was a long time ago - not that he should forget his past. But LA is not the same relatively small handful of gems anymore as well. Thinking back a handful of years ago, Coffee Tomo was IT. They’re still great, but look at the choices now. And that’s just coffee.

1 Like

Oops I should clarify…

The Lucky Peach article only mentioned one Pico place but I am glad of the Koreatown, Thai Town, and Boyle Heights love alongside LA’s food darlings.

That’s like doing a NYC Food Guide without mentioning Roosevelt Blvd in Queens.

Too much variety and diversity on Pico to be ignored.

2 Likes

Also LOL at The Smiths/Morrisey reference

3 Likes

Panic in the streets of Los Angeles…

1 Like

Where?

Bigmouth Strikes Again, Charming Man, etc.

1 Like

Got it. Pico is pretty amazing now that you mention it. Starting from the beach and travelling east, one doesn’t have to go more than a few blocks at a time before coming upon something noted as food-significant.

I just keep thinking that pre-food boom in LA, this city just pretended to be on a diet. We were actually kinda starving - okay, maybe malnourished - not enough variety in great food. Now that this city has a fair amount of credible food, we no longer have to pretend we are on a diet. In fact, with all the choices, this town has gotten quite girthy.

3 Likes

apropos of nothing, i suppose, but this song runs through my
head probably more often than is good for me.
mostly the “says nothing to me about my life” seems to apply
to so, so many things i read, hear and see.

yes, this is a “me problem” if you’re scoring.

1 Like

Dana Goodyear at The New Yorker

Some examples:

3 Likes

What song is that?

“Panic” by The Smiths

Oh, sure. Did he swap in the local city when on tour?

Ahh many thanks, that’s the kinda stuff I was looking for.

1 Like

How interesting that there ain’t a single writer you listed under 50… only one under 60. I wonder why that is.

Here’s a more recent piece from another New Yorker writer:

1 Like

I posted this on another board back in August. Good article.

I love Dana! She’s really great.

Why? Better, more in-depth, teaching of English to those over 50. Not being snarky. When I took Chinese, the teacher said he has ever increasing difficulty trying to explain basic English grammar to incoming students, to the point where he minimizes describing verbs, nouns and the like.

Don’t plagiarise or take on loans
There’s always someone, somewhere
With a big nose, who knows
And who trips you up and laughs
When you fall

3 Likes