Wonderful Italian Gelato & Pastas - Bulgarini Gelato [Thoughts + Pics]

Do they open and serve pasta for lunch???

Hi @moonboy403,

Call ahead of time. Because itā€™s mainly Leo Bulgarini running the shop, heā€™ll sometimes not get around to opening it until later in the afternoon.

If someone does pick up (he seems to have hired some part-time help manning the cashier), make sure to ask if Leo is in, before you head over (and let them know you want Pasta).

Otherwise, itā€™s still safe to stop in for Gelato if heā€™s not in, but you want him around to talk about the nature of his creations and his passion with the Pasta and Gelato. :wink:

1 Like

Itā€™s been in the upper 40s late at night several days of the wk for several wksā€¦ which is completely unheard of in LA. It even started SNOWING in certain parts.

Itā€™s actually been really bizarre.

Yeah, I had poke yesterday which, while very tasty, wasnā€™t exactly comforting.

But, back to the topic, I think that Bulgariniā€™s pasta would be delish in this weather. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last nightā€™s adventure was so successful that I finally decided to go all in and schedule a dinner with Leo.
For those interested in the current set of flavors, hereā€™s what I remember:
Goatā€™s milk with cocoa nibs - it was a delightful amount of goat-y with hints of chocolateā€¦savory-sweet
Mascarpone
Tiramisu - really tasted like tiramisu!
Pear x3 (Bartlett, Bosc with bay leavesā€¦so yummy!, canā€™t remember the last)
Blood orange granita
Chocolate sorbet - not a stitch of milk or cream and studded with cocoa nibsā€¦I donā€™t even like chocolate and I enjoyed it
Chocolate-orange gelato
Chocolate salt gelato
Peach
Nectarine
Pistachio
Hazelnut
Stracciatella
Sweet cream - it has an Italian name but I canā€™t remember
We were the only folks in the shop, so we were able to chat with Leo for a bit. Heā€™s got great storiesā€¦he talked about the first time he met JGold and then the first time he met Wolfgang Puck. Youā€™ll have to ask him about it. He had a new assistant in helping make pasta, and Leo himself was pulling out a fresh batch of biscotti out of the oven.

6 Likes

fior di latte?

2 Likes

WAT? When did he start making biscotti???

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m glad your Italian is on point, @PorkyBelly!

@paranoidgarliclover According to Leo, heā€™s been making and selling biscotti for some time. He says itā€™s real popular so he has trouble keeping it on hand regularly. It smelled super delicious, and it was too hot for us to see it be set out. Iā€™ll try to see if itā€™s available on Friday and snap a photo of it for you.

2 Likes

Ahā€¦ Maybe thatā€™s why I never seen it (and Iā€™ve only been a few times total). I imagine his biscotti must be great, too. :slight_smile:

We showed up one time without calling ahead. Leo was not there. They still let us order pasta, and while it was decent, a young man made it and I have no way of knowing how much better it would have been from Leo himself. Need to retry it one of these days.

1 Like

I have been a few times but never had the pasta.

How to get the most out of your trip to Bulgarini:

1. Try Leoā€™s nut-based gelatos, specifically the pistachio and hazelnut flavors. Even if you donā€™t like nuts. (Heck, especially if you donā€™t like nuts.) Also, if available, get a taste of the gorgonzola gelato.

2. Eat the housemade pasta there. It is sublime.

3. If you ask nice, Leo will offer you a pairing of gelato and some sort of alcohol. He is a genius at pairing his gelatos. Let him wow you.

5 Likes

I feel successful in that Iā€™ve already heeded 2 of your 3 tips. The last one is going to taken care of shortly.

2 Likes

May the fourth be with you.

2 Likes

Small snagā€¦the husband got assigned to work tonight (and he canā€™t get out of it), and Iā€™m not going to cancel last minute. Whatā€™s the best way to keep and take home gelato/sorbetto home? Iā€™ll take a cooler, but am torn between filling it with ice or dry ice.
Thanks!

bring the cooler and ask if Leo could give you ice? I donā€™t know if thatā€™s being a little bit forward though

Iā€™m not opposed to already filling it with ice myselfā€¦was just wondering if dry ice would be more appropriate.

1 Like

my bad, misunderstood. i guess dry ice would be better since you will be out for a few hours?

1 Like

Perhaps a friend will fill in?

He was really sad to find out he was on the scheduleā€¦he was very much looking forward to a fun evening of great food and gelato/sorbettoā€¦Leo had even mentioned he was going to make a pear flavor just because we were coming in. Dry iceā€¦it is!

2 Likes