WSGV updates

Thanks Barry. I realize some of what makes the update is old news here, but fell just after the last update at Eater. I’m glad you brought this up, as it gives me a chance to update what didn’t make the cut (a couple are ESGV, so I’ll move them to that thread). Some Tony covered, some Chihuo covered, some haven’t been covered at all, so…

Alhambra:
Flavor Garden signage is down now, replaced by signage (and menus) reading Zui Xiang Yuan.

Wong Java House has a big “Grand Opening” banner hanging out front. Ownership change. Instead of the Indonesian mother & daughter that ran the place, it seems to be a couple running it now. New menus aren’t going to be in for a week or two.

Monterey Park:
KT Cafe switched to DLS Cafe. Still HK cafe fare.

Wok BBQ, home of dry pots, has become Wok Crab, focusing on shellfish hot pots.

South El Monte:
Focus, a Dongbei-style place, opened on Rosemead Blvd. (sort of across from Shun Fat) in what was Yummy , a Sichuan place, which was a Hunan place before that.

There are more changes coming to the ESGV, but those are probably December or January updates…or happened today, right after publishing, because that’s always what always happens. I’ve already heard about another opening today.

3 Likes

I was one of the many unsuspecting diners who went to Flavor Garden in Alhambra after the move to Chino Hills. I just stopped by Zui Xiang Yuan and the place was packed. And the fish dumplings were as good as ever. Don’t know if it’s a new crew or they just got lucky.

another change in mgmt? i might go check them out tomorrow.

Confirmed that Mama’s Dumpling in San Gabriel is open and I couldn’t get in because of the crowd.

how funny! stopped there after having lunch today at embassy kitchen.

same canto tourist menu and they raised the prices on the XLB

But it’s not delicious

It’s actually Bistro Na’s. And if looks could kill, Medusa should be worried. Problem is, looks can’t cook.

The former.

akagi ramen is apparently replacing fluff ice in the atlantic square plaza. i’m inclined to give it a wide berth when they’re hiring off craigslist:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/fbh/5854193654.html

in particular the line: " Cooks - Experience is a plus, but not a requirement. "

does not give me a sense of the warm & fuzzies.

1 Like

Hey, I saw ‘Tampopo’ not once, but TWICE. I must be overqualified for this gig. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not of a fan of Beijing cuisine in particular? …or is it that Bistro Na’s is nowhere close to either Beijing Restaurant or Beijing Tasty House?

Good news. They listened to you and updated the link.

http://la.eater.com/meanwhile-in-the-sgv/archives

1 Like

i’m glad it was done, but i wouldn’t be so sure i had any influence on that!

1 Like

and one of them is the taiwanese fried chicken chain HOT STAR, with their second location now open on garvey between new and del mar.

their menu is eight items, and six of them are chicken. we availed ourselves of the special as pictured here:

two of the three in row A and everything else for $30 & tax

of row A, we went with choices 1 & 3

the pieces are sizable but NOT boneless. there are NO utensils, you get plastic gloves which reminded me i need to schedule a physical

the portion size of the other items reflects how the taiwanese seem to prefer to snack on small servings throughout the day.

4 Likes

a lot of other links on the site still point to

which is an old link which still points only to tonyc’s article.

that’s what happens when you get sloppy and hardcode links and cross links in your html.

renamed “Zui Xiang Yuan” they retained the old FG menu

surprisingly full for a weekday lunch. they still do the steamed pork ribs w/rice flour

though with only two of us doing lunch, we could only try 2-3 things on the menu.: leek/pork/shrimp dumplings

spicy beef noodle soup, made extra spicy with an oil slick of chili oil (wasn’t my call)

can’t vouch for anything else still on the menu, but these items were still pretty much how i remember them a few years ago.

This is so funny. So this new “Zui Xiang Yuan” simply renamed the restaurant using the phonetic translation of the original Chinese name of Flavor Garden?

Awesome.

Hi @secretasianman,

Thanks BarryC. So would you say the dumplings are still good? Handmade?

yeah - somehow this conforms to the naming standards of the mall. don’t ask me how.

yes. they were as i remembered. very good texture between the leek, fatty pork & shrimp.

2 Likes

So I finally tried this place out, and I have to thank you, Barry, for the intel on the beef roll–Flavor Garden’s blows 101 Noodle Express’ out of the water!

So I started off with the pan-fried leek dumplings:

These were very tasty, with a nice crunch to them! :smile: The filling was plentiful, but a bit mild. I found I had to resort to pouring my condiments inside each dumpling, as the skins were a little too thick and crispy for effective dipping, but hey, I don’t mind playing with my food a bit.

Next came the scallion pancake:

This was just okay. It was very crispy/crunchy, but also a bit greasy. Although I liked the visible amount of scallions, I find 101 Noodle Express to have a much more flavorful version of this dish.

Finally, the star of the meal:

Ooph! Look at that! And it’s so tasty, too! Just completely overflowing with beef, with a touch of hoisin sauce. 101 Noodle Express has been unseated, but I will still go because their hours run much later.

Overall value is tops here, too–my total bill was under $25 for all this food, after tipping.

Next time I want to try their sesame rice balls.

Zui Xiang Yuan (Flavor Garden)
1269 E Valley Blvd
Alhambra, CA 91801
(626) 284-3549

3 Likes

glad to hear that someone else thinks that they’re rediscovered their stride - the level of execution was a bit uneven for a while.