WSJ: Pastrami on Rye: The 6 Best Places to Eat New York’s Signature Sandwich

Yep. But think where some visitors come from. We ordered from them recently and it came with their mustard and Russian dressing. Mmm.

1 Like

All of these places make a statement in the shrinking Jewish deli realm, but Liebman’s Delicatessen in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, N, Y., has been tastefully hanging in since 1953. Pastrami included. www.liebmansdeli.com

Did you order a sandwich or pastrami by the pound? If the latter, the Russian dressing would be for those who use the pastrami to make Reubens though I suppose there are some who would dress the sandwich with Russian instead of mustard.

Note: I always use corned beef for Ruebens (never pastrami) which I believe is the classic meat for that sandwich.

Oh, I know. But it still tasted good.

Are you the @RGR of the famed “Lower East Side Food Tour” on Chowhound? If so, great to see you here – I look forward to your posts!

4 Likes

I love how the Sarge pickles and cole slaw look exactly like what we get at our local deli here in the wilds of Northern Virginia, Chutzpah in Fairfax. Obviously it’s not New York, but the owners are New Yorkers and the food hits the spot well.

We have to check out Chutzpah the next time we visit relatives in Fairfax…

1 Like