[WSJ] When Your Dinner Guest Orders a $700 Bottle of Wine: An Etiquette Guide

Bingo.

If you think the wine (or whatever foodstuff) you’re serving is somehow inappropriate for your guests (be it too good, or not good enough), then either don’t serve it, or revise your guest list, or both.

Playing subterfuge and cloak-and-dagger with your menu offerings just seems so “inside baseball” to put it mildly, and tacky to put it correctly.

3 Likes

I was thinking about this thread today. I can see slipping off into another room to have the good stuff and having an ‘unqualified’ person walking in and saying ‘hey, guys, what’s this all about?’ Tacky. Another bingo.

Like when you’re going to do lines in the bathroom with a friend, and someone else wants to go too because they have to go to the bathroom. So annoying.

4 Likes

If I’m slipping off into another room to have the good stuff, I can assure you that good stuff won’t be wine.

1 Like

If you’re going to have sex at a party, be sure to bring enough for everyone.

1 Like

Anybody who pays enough attention to wine to ask what we were pouring would be welcome to some. Though we might warn them that it’s really acidic or oxidized or off-dry or over the hill or whatever.

I see you’ve met my husband.

6 Likes

That comment almost made me spit out my wine. Hilarious.

2 Likes

“Hey dear - how do you expect me to enjoy myself at our party if you TRY to hide my jug of Carlo Rossi in the closet? Ooh - what’s this? Skree-meeng Eagle 1992… Hey - I think Robert might have left this big-ass bottle for us. Break out the beer bong - chug!” :wink:

2 Likes