Wursthall - San Mateo

I was passing through San Mateo and decided to try Kenji López-Alt’s place.

Egg was good.

Salad was the best thing I had.

Nürnberger was good but nothing special. I’d expected something exceptional. Bun and greens were meh. Potato salad was very good.

Overall disappointing compared with Hog’s Apothecary or Brotzeit. Left feeling a bit depressed I didn’t stick to my original plan of Sichuan.

$16 for a sausage just doesn’t seem reasonable nor sustainable.

The place was plenty busy.

I would have thought the price was reasonable for San Mateo (highest rents in the Bay Area) if the sausages, bun, and green salad had been as good as the potato salad.

Went here for lunch on way to Sea Ranch. Husband was a little resistant to stopping in San Mateo, but I really wanted to try Wursthall. We were seated promptly and had good service the entire lunch. My husband perked up when he saw the beer on draft menu. He ordered a Kolsch and got me a dubbel.

We started with the fried chicken on a waffle -KENJI’S KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN- and the SPAETZLE “CACIO E PEPE.” The waiter said it was a great combo. They were both superb. Those dishes made the trip worth it, but add the beer, and we were in foodie heaven.

We got the boar sausage to split. It came with a salad. The sausage was the only less then fantastic part of the meal. The salad and dressing was delicious, but the sausage was just good.

The experience made a convert out of my husband, who wanted to stop here on our way, though we didn’t get a chance to. We will be back, though.

3 Likes

Glad to hear some love for Hog’s Apothecary. I grew up with the owner and his family.

1 Like