XLB's (xiao long bao)

It appears that new Chinese money is driving many of the interesting restaurants developments in the SGV and beyond–maybe something to be thankful for. Also, with apologies to FTC members, who are probably all very stylish, I was a little amused by the notion of foodies making fashion critiques…

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t ever bring myself to throw away protein.

That’s perfect beef noodle soup leftovers right there!

your mom did it wrong.

The Chinese remedy calls for double boiled (best be smashed) ginger and brown sugar for cold & cold. it kinda sucks to know, when you’re 40’s that Chinese moms screwed up more often than not, in literally everything.

50’s actually,but who’s counting? and i wouldn’t dare tell my mom now; she carries enough shame as it is.

besides. it had the most important ingredient: love

3 Likes

i created this in jest after seeing so many lao wai have tattoos of chinese characters, but it was pointed out to me that it is in fact true in chinese families. and i couldn’t argue against that.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread.

So where, in 2018, can one get “FTC approved” xlb in the SGV?

1 Like

i don’t know about FTC approved, but i was pleasantly surprised recently by the ones put out by dumpling house in arcadia on baldwin

the construction isn’t nearly as delicate as found in the ones at shanghai dumpling house, but the non-leaky wrappers are not noticeably thick/chewy and they do encase a substantial amount of hot porky broth, and just about table around us had an order.

an order is a bit more expensive than most in the SGV, but then this order includes ten (10) as compared to eight (8) at most other places.

i’d include dumpling house as a place to try if you like XLB.

and since the name of the place is dumpling house, we tried a few other offerings in that realm:

what made these lamb dumplings stand out was the accompanying sauce, which reminded me of a yuzu ponzu sauce in the brightness and how it complemented the dumplings.

3 Likes