Yardbird: We Had a Southern Fried Yardbird in a Beverly Hills Mall

Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Whole Chicken, Cheddar Waffle, Spiced Watermelon $62

Free-range, Jidori Chicken brined for 27 hours, one brine ingredient being pork fat. The chicken is not actually deep fried, but pressure cooked with very little oil. I was afraid we were going to get an overly brined, salty, pork fat greasy bird. Nope. It was flavorful, crispy, tender, juicy, not salty and not pork fat greasy, just little crevices of natural juices under the skin and in the flesh. It is an f-ing delicious bird! :kissing_closed_eyes:

Surprised again. If I had known this waffle was going to be so good I would have taken better photos. I normally like my waffles plain without cheese, herbs or anything else, just spread w/butter and syrup… until I had Yardbird’s waffle. :kissing_closed_eyes: You only get a little taste of cheddar - and that shiny, egg-y, brioche-y looking interior is actually from swiss cheese! Again, you can’t really taste the cheese, but it gives the waffle a good consistency, texture and flavor. This is seriously one of the best chicken and waffle dishes I’ve ever had. I had to stop myself from just tearing off pieces of hot sauce splashed chicken and bourbon maple doused waffle and eating it with my fingers. :blush: The watermelon was tossed with lemon, spices and mint, something I would definitely make at home or for a picnic.

Crispy Brussels w/Spiced Local Honey

There were a few bulbs, but it was mostly like eating crispy brussels sprout chips, in a good way. :slight_smile:

Southern Street Corn w/Chipotle Creme, Farmer’s Cheese, Fresno Peppers, Bacon

We ordered this without bacon, as you can with most of their dishes, including the collard greens. The charred corn was sweet and firm in a nice creamy dressing with a decent kick.

Honey Hot Sauce & Bourbon Maple Syrup

Thankfully there wasn’t too much honey in the hot sauce - both sauces were tasty.

We were too stuffed for dessert, but were told the executive pastry chef, Hedy Goldsmith, is a 2 time James Beard winner and I think an Iron Chef winner.

Mismatched antique cutlery and cute touches abound. The service is almost comically good. The waiters knew the menu well and were so happy and proud to describe any and everything, like they personally designed it. Very endearing. One steered me away from a peach drink that was “too sweet”, and sensing I still wanted the fresh white peach juice, made me a nice bellini. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t think the “too sweet” peach cocktail was the only heavy handed drink. My husband’s applewood smoked old-fashioned was overpowering.

We had no plans to eat at Yardbird. We were shopping and got hungry. I heard they had opened a locale at the Beverly Center, but not much else. Everyone is doing fried chicken right now, most with average results, so we weren’t expecting much. But I must say, we thought this was better than the buttermilk fried chicken at the now shuttered Bouchon in Beverly Hills. Aside from the cocktails there is very good balance in the dishes and we enjoyed them very much.

The space is very large with a bar and lounge, high tops, booths, private room and outdoor seating. It is a good place for after work, after church, group dining and taking out-of-town guests and the visiting folks (if they’re ok with slightly loud rock music).

(internet photo)

I think Charlie “Yardbird” Parker would be very satisfied with this delicious yardbird. :saxophone:

Our meal for 2 was $133 + tip. We over ordered and had enough for a full meal the next day.

Happy Yardbird Eating! :poultry_leg:

17 Likes

At first I thought “Southern Fried Yardbird” was a type of fried chicken and thought, hmm, never heard of that one. But a quick Google showed it’s quite the growing chain. Looks really good. I also learned that the pressure cooked way is also how KFC/Popeye’s and others do it. Now I’ve learned TWO things today. YAY :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just read that about KFC and Popeye’s too and was totally surprised.

My feeble, old brain finally remembered “broasted.” We had a dive bar/tavern/video poker/diner place near us in Oregon that served it. SO good.

Image result for broasted chicken
www.marilynstreats.com

Broasting is a method of cooking chicken and other foods using a pressure fryer. The technique was invented by L. A. M. Phelan in the early 1950s and is marketed by the Broaster Company of Beloit, Wisconsin, United States, which Phelan founded.

Broasting - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Hah, I thought that and asked the waiter if it was like a broasted chicken. I don’t think he knew what that is, so I dropped it. :slight_smile: He did offer to let us see how it’s done (open kitchen plan), but we had to be somewhere. Next time.

There is lots of southern hospitality going around in this place. I wish we had gone in the beginning days - they were sending folks home with little bags of the delicious fried chicken coating.

Frying chicken in lard, oh yes, but in a brine lard makes no sense to me. It doesn’t dissolve in water.

Went here for Happy Hour a couple of months ago, and they have some good options on there also.

Was tempted by the fried chicken but a bit scared off by the price tag. Maybe I’ll give the smaller portion version a try now.

1 Like

The smaller portion will do. We had a lot of chicken left over and my husband can eat a lot.

It is odd. I can’t really say how it’s incorporated - they’re admittedly secretive about ingredients, but must divulge the pork, especially in a chicken dish. So, I was thinking they might just coat it with pig fat or drippings, and it’s the reason they don’t need extra oil in the pressure cooker.

What about a 27 hr brine?
I was taught any brine for chicken over 12 hours will ruin it completely.

We tried this place in Vegas, the chicken is delicious.

I know. I screamed in my head a little when the waiter said 27 hours. But what can I say? It was great. I think the ‘Lewellyn’ in the “Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken” is someone’s grandma and it’s her recipe.

I’ve never brined my fried chicken or any chicken. Never found it necessary.

If you ever rotisserie one I highly recommend a brine

Like on a spit?

yes.
like this

1 Like

I dry brine a Zuni chicken for three days.

That’s a good tip. It makes sense.

FIFY

1 Like