You Kitchen 婆婆家 in Alhambra Pics - Northern Chinese Dumplings and Baos

Really enjoyed our first meal here, we stuffed ourselves to the gill trying as many dishes as our stomachs would allow.

https://lafoodiepanda.com/2018/12/09/northern-chinese-dumplings-and-baos-at-you-kitchen-婆婆家-in-alhambra-ca/

6 Likes

My cousin just emailed me about this place. She lives in OC and wants to meet and go to You. Maybe I’ll do my first SGV food crawl.

4 Likes

You go, TheCookie! :smiley:

2 Likes

Im excited. We changed the focus to a crispy, juicy, porky excursion, probably at Monterey Palace (“adequate dim sum”). But I’m going to squeeze in at least one more spot while I’m there, probably for dessert… I’ve fallen in love with black sesame purée!

1 Like

It is indeed most addictive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Went yesterday, not everything was great, but the fish/coriander and stuffed pancake were delicious. They were out of XLB but the shengjianbao were tasty too. The pan-fried chive egg pillow was a downer though, too much carb not enough filling. Service was a bit slow at first but after the kitchen caught up it all came out at once.

2 Likes

I’ll be thinking of you. :wink:

1 Like

That was pretty much my take, and my experience as well. Not everything is great, but it is at a good level across the board (especially for dumpling/bao places). You need to get Lucas to go, so he can give his assessment of the fish dumplings.

@TonyC picks up the frozen dumplings from You Kitchen for his stock at home.

1 Like

It’s too bad the best frozen dumplings in the SGV is now out in the ESGV.

Tell me more!
I basically live in the Mariana Trench so WSGV and ESGV are basically the same difference for me.
Where are these delightful frozen convenience foods?

2 Likes

Likely because of where I live…I consider Alhambra more west than east. Hacienda and Rowland are so much easier for me to get to.

Tell me more! Feel free to do it via message :wink:

I can tell you where not to go. JYTH! Surprising, I know, but I got their frozen pork and chive dumplings. Barely any seasoning. I dont’ know if it was a bad batch, but there was no flavor to it. Lots of chive though. Which is good if you’re looking for a way to get your kids to eat veggies.

Any chance are you talking about Cindy’s Kitchen? Like their dumplings, so I picked up a couple of bags to take home during my last visit.

1 Like

I will take Lucas but only if he pays

1 Like

No

We weren’t that enthusiastic with our dining adventure there last Sunday:

JTYH Restaurant 鼎泰美食 in Rosemead for Northern Chinese Noodles and Dumplings

Posted by LAFOODIEPANDA on FEBRUARY 28, 2019

EDIT

JTYH Restaurant 鼎泰美食 in Rosemead for Northern Chinese Noodles and Dumplings

JTYH Heavy Noodle II, 9425 Valley Boulevard, Rosemead, CA 91770, Telephone: (626) 442-8999, Hours: 11:00am-3:00pm, and 5:00p,-9:00pm (Closed Tuesdays).

Over a decade ago, this place was written up by Jonathan Gold for their hand-pulled and knife-cut noodles, as well as a variety of house made dumplings. Since then, it has been named to Gold’s popular annual 101 List.

Last time I ate here with friends, it was about 5 years ago, and one of the dishes I enjoyed tremendously was the Moo Shu Cat Ear (handmade pasta that resembled orecchhiette pasta). However, my recollection was that the pasta was made into smaller pieces and was more fully cooked (less al dente than it was when had it just this past weekend). It was also better seasoned the last time and not as dry.

In fact, seasoning was the main issue with a few of our dishes — there wasn’t enough seasoning in the Spicy Beef & Beef Tendon Noodle Soup, the pan-fried noodles, and Scallion Pancake. The end result would unwanted leftovers of these three dishes.

COLD CUCUMBER

MUNG BEAN JELLY IN CHILI SAUCE

WONTON IN RED OIL

FISH WITH LEEK BOILED DUMPLING

Inside of the FISH WITH LEEK BOILED DUMPLING

PAN FRIED BUN WITH PORK, AND LEEKS

PAN FRIED BUN WITH PORK AND LEEKS

LAMB KNIFE-SHAVED PAN FRIED NOODLE

STEWED BEEF TENDON & BEEF NOODLE SOUP

SCALLION PANCAKE

BEEF WITH CORIANDER PAN FRIED DUMPLING

BEEF WITH CORIANDER PAN FRIED DUMPLINGS

BEEF ROLL

BEEF ROLL

MOO SHU CAT EAR PASTA

Their entrees were well prepared, and all three dishes were completely devoured. Their dumplings were good, though the skin of the boiled dumplings were a bit thick (making them a bit chewy). Their wontons were excellent. The pork filling was well seasoned, and the skin thin and delicate.

Overall, it was somewhat of a disappointing outing for me.

STIR FRIED “A” CHOY WITH GARLIC

CUMIN LAMB RIBS

SWEET AND SOUR CABBAGE

2 Likes