Your Favorite Fish Tacos

Really ?

Yes.

Illegal to sell Marlin. That’s why it’s often spelled “marlyn”.

Typically it’s tuna or some other smoked fish.

El Pescador is within walking distance of the Palomar St trolley stop. Whether you stop or not may be a matter of time…i.e. what time you’Re taking the trolley, what time El Pescador opens, how much time you want to spend in TJ, how much time you want to devote to this little detour…and so on.

There’s a place in TJ that makes a pretty incredible fish taco. I’ve been racking my brain trying to remember the name but, unfortunately, I’m not dredging it up

As long as it isn’t smoked krab, I’m OK with that.

On an unrelated note, maybe we should have a goodbye chowdown with Honkman at the Cheesecake Factory.

I would prefer Chuck E Cheese

Y’all weren’t kidding about Mariscos EP’s grilled fish and governador tacos. The octopus were also killer-- I’ve never had anything like that. What do they season those with?

ZOkay, maybe they’re not the best fish tacos in San Diego, but in the week I’ve been back from Taiwan I have had the fish tacos from the Fish District in Carmel Mountain four times! The baja fish tacos are just $2 each and with a $3.50 Pacifico on draft i can get two and a beer for just $8. The fish portions are very large and juicy and flavorful. The white sauce is the right consistency with fresh chopped herbs and the little pico de gallo added gives a nice acidic counterpoint to the cabbage and cilantro slaw. The tortillas are just lightly pan fried so they are pliable, but don’t get soggy or fall apart. These are 100 times better now than when they first opened and were using lettuce and some weird sauce. All in all a damn good fish taco and beats Rubios next door hands down in both price and quality. Also a very good spicy ahi poke bowl!

1 Like

Really? I go there not infrequently but have never gotten the fish tacos. Will try them soon though, thanks!

They can open a Fish District eatery in Bay Park anytime they’re ready…

I get the Baja style fish tacos, but you can choose your fish and preparation.

1 Like

Just noticed this place a couple of weeks ago…
Wasn’t that a Pat and Oscar’s?
Thanks for the heads up on Fish District…:+1:

Oscar’s in PB for fish tacos are delicious
Bahia’s in Bird Rock has really good fish tacos
Need to try the ones in CV at the Toys R us parking lot…

The Grub Burger Bar is in that old Pat & Oscar’s location. Fish Republic is in the plaza with Rubio’s, Habit, and Pier One. Previously it was the location of BBQ Republic and before that Joey’s Smokin’ BBQ.

Don’t you still live in that hood, Plumeria Chick, or did you move? :slight_smile:

Ha ha ha. .

Its not my hood but the closest thing to civilization that has a Saks off 5th and a Nordys Rack within the Fakey 8 mile sphere…
Hell, Fakey thinks I live in AZ!

I could of sworn that signage for Fish District was on the old Pat & Oscar’s… where the Home Depot is…

Damn, blonde hair is messing with my synapsing neurons…for the Scientists out there!

Rhone likes that taco shop in there…what’s the name. . .Zelda’s?
:taco:

They may very well have used that building to advertise the Fish District before it became Grub’s - I think it was vacant for quite a while.

My current work location is in a building called “Center for Neuro Circuits and Behavior”. Perhaps I could be of assistance.

Speaking of fish tacos, I see that Ed Bedford recently hit up a truck on Broadway in Chulijuana called “El Rorro”. Has anybody here tried them? The pictures look pretty good, and Ed isn’t exactly staging food Fakey style.

Today, I tried Taco Villa: newly opened/reopened in the old UCSD Student Center. They haven’t open the inside, so they have a clumsy inefficient system with a counter at one door and a pickup window at the second. They obviously cannot keep up with UCSD lunchtime traffic.

With that said, I found their surf&turf burrito to be quite tasty. The chips were freshly fried, but a bit too oily for my tastes. They only have two salsas and the Tapatio at this point (I hope that increases when they fully open); I thought the green salsa (mild) was pretty good for that genre; the red salsa was a little spicy and OK but not memorable.

It definitely is worth working in to the UCSD lunch rotation, but until they fully open, it is very slow when crowded so it would work best for those eating at off hours (before 11:30, after 1:00).

1 Like

Center for Neuro Circuits and Behavior". Perhaps I could be of assistance.'…ha!

So glad to have you back in So Cal Brian…sure your wife and little girl are over the moon too!

Good to know some new taco places…

Nope.

Because you’re north of the 52 and east of College Avenue, you are in Riverside/SanBerdoo/Las Vegas.

ImperialPhoenix is south of 8, east of College.

1 Like

I stumbled upon Taco Bar on accident today. I was pleasantly surprised at how good their tripas taco is. The tripas were crunchy as hell, some of the best tripas I have had to date. Also grabbed an al pastor (it was okay) and a pretty good octopus taco.

I’ll definitely be back for the tripas. I heard the diabla is good.

I really like taco bar but they are somewhat inconsistent. Try TJ tacos 10 minutes farther east in Escondido(same concept as tacos el gordo down south) or tacos german for seafood also in Escondido.

You mean Mariscos German, which finally opened a restaurant in Escondido, as opposed to a food truck. They still have a food truck operation in San Marcos on a street in back of the Fry’s Electronics store.