Your Favorite Fish Tacos

They may very well have used that building to advertise the Fish District before it became Grub’s - I think it was vacant for quite a while.

My current work location is in a building called “Center for Neuro Circuits and Behavior”. Perhaps I could be of assistance.

Speaking of fish tacos, I see that Ed Bedford recently hit up a truck on Broadway in Chulijuana called “El Rorro”. Has anybody here tried them? The pictures look pretty good, and Ed isn’t exactly staging food Fakey style.

Today, I tried Taco Villa: newly opened/reopened in the old UCSD Student Center. They haven’t open the inside, so they have a clumsy inefficient system with a counter at one door and a pickup window at the second. They obviously cannot keep up with UCSD lunchtime traffic.

With that said, I found their surf&turf burrito to be quite tasty. The chips were freshly fried, but a bit too oily for my tastes. They only have two salsas and the Tapatio at this point (I hope that increases when they fully open); I thought the green salsa (mild) was pretty good for that genre; the red salsa was a little spicy and OK but not memorable.

It definitely is worth working in to the UCSD lunch rotation, but until they fully open, it is very slow when crowded so it would work best for those eating at off hours (before 11:30, after 1:00).

1 Like

Center for Neuro Circuits and Behavior". Perhaps I could be of assistance.'…ha!

So glad to have you back in So Cal Brian…sure your wife and little girl are over the moon too!

Good to know some new taco places…

Nope.

Because you’re north of the 52 and east of College Avenue, you are in Riverside/SanBerdoo/Las Vegas.

ImperialPhoenix is south of 8, east of College.

1 Like

I stumbled upon Taco Bar on accident today. I was pleasantly surprised at how good their tripas taco is. The tripas were crunchy as hell, some of the best tripas I have had to date. Also grabbed an al pastor (it was okay) and a pretty good octopus taco.

I’ll definitely be back for the tripas. I heard the diabla is good.

I really like taco bar but they are somewhat inconsistent. Try TJ tacos 10 minutes farther east in Escondido(same concept as tacos el gordo down south) or tacos german for seafood also in Escondido.

You mean Mariscos German, which finally opened a restaurant in Escondido, as opposed to a food truck. They still have a food truck operation in San Marcos on a street in back of the Fry’s Electronics store.

TJ Tacos is a clone of Tacos el Gordo.

The Taco Bar has more sophisticated cuisine, and gets to be a little pricey if you are hungry. Also, the wait for your order can be lengthy, at least in my experience.

Good to hear from you, FN. Thought you’d died and gone to Super Sergios. Or vice versa.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll be down in SD quite a bit for now so I could use recs. Any particular dishes at Taco Bar you recommend? They have a huge menu to sift through.

How crowded is the truck behind Fry’s?

It hasn’t been bad for me, but I haven’t been there at peak lunch hour.

I tend to stick to the tacos, especially seafood ones but these can be hit or miss. Of the meat tacos I especially like the al pastor but seems I’ve had good luck (I usually ask for it off the spit). I wish their salsas were better although the green one is pretty good.

The mariscos german truck is visible from the 78 in front (or behind?) the Frys and is not usually very busy. Personally I like the brick and mortar location better but it’s similar.

Another recommendation is Vamos a Texcoco in Vista (credit to CSTR who first told me about it). It is very similar to Aqui es Texcoco in Chula Vista (and now Downey which might be closer to you).

Lastly, is Mi Rancho market, a hole in the wall market with a counter in the back where you can get tacos and birria. Cheap and probably nothing special for Escondido but I love this place. Also has a good donut shop in the same parking lot.

1 Like

FAKEY!!

Thought I saw you in Maui last week but the handsome Buck was wearing a teal speedo and I know yours is sorbet tangerIne from when we all went to Capri last year…

I don’t want to be in the Inland Empire…

I’m craving a grouper fish taco…
Can I get grouper on the west coast?

Neither is possible. I don’t own clothing of color nor pattern. Tones are fine, with obvious preference to black. Greay and white are OK in hotter times.

The Inland Empire- that’s part of Henderson, NV.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

I’m gonna hit up Taco Bar again for sure as well as try some of these places.

1 Like

In/around downtown SD, try City Taco, Blue Water, Puesto, Salud

4 Likes

You are da man, Fakey!!
:lifter:

I’ll add these to the list too.

Had a free bday entree from Rubios…
Went and had the grilled sea bass tacos for $10.25 with chips and beans…
The tacos were delicious.

I, personally, would not of spent the $$ of my own monies but the sea bass was fresh, cooked perfectly and the citrus cilantro dressing was tangy good.
Split that with a a quesadilla and for $7 with water and lemon was a perfect meal deal.

All day this Tuesday is National Taco day with all day fish tacos at Rubios, $1.75…
Your mileage may vary …
:taco:

Happy birthday!

1 Like