Your favorite take out places in the LA/OC?

i understand that some people want sushi badly enough that they’ll settle for takeout, etc. but fish neta oxidizes so quickly that degradation is perceptible in a relatively short time; i can’t categorize it as a takeout item personally.

1 Like

Transit time to get-in-my-mouth time: Total of about 10min. And that’s after the extensive food photoshoot.

Not much oxidation of significance goes on in 10 min., IMHO (well, nothing that my primitive tastebuds can perceive, anyways)…

1 Like

Takeout sushi better than no sushi if that’s what u want and sugarfish is great for that cuz good value in first place and frankly nice honking big pieces of tasty albacore too. I like their style. Nozawa nostalgia not a bad thing.

Sushiwise who wouldn’t want to be with Jl? Kevin on keys. Urasawa f’ker meetup? That would be worth saving up for.

I live in east Eagle Rock, so I hit up Casa Bianca every other week for pizza (sausage and garlic…I know that JG’s fave is sausage and eggplant, but I loves me some garlic). I always get there about 10 minutes before the ETA, and usually just have to wait for a few minutes. From there, it’s a five minute drive back to my house and six till it gets devoured.

Friendly though the waitresses are, it’s ususally too packed or too hot or both to eat there, so the arrangement works well.

And that’s no fucking joke. (Has Kevin explained elsewhere why that’s become his “signature”? Guessing it was some contretemps with The CBS Food Page, but I haven’t seen him explain it. Not that it fucking bothers me!)

2 Likes

Ummm, not really.
Actually not much about is “prose” has been afforded anythimg like an explanation.

1 Like

I don’t know if it has anything to do with oxidation at all vs the quality of fish you get from the average takeout place.

1. The block of fish is sitting there exposed to oxygen for hours sometimes even days at the top sushi places. There is no vacuum sealing of fish that I’ve seen anywhere.
  2. Some fish are deliberately aged to enhance flavor or texture.

http://www.sushiyasuda.com/restaurant.html

" While Sushi Yasuda brings in fish from all around
the world and much from Japan, the chefs highly value outstanding local
and regional varieties. Mitsu and Tatsu select the fish one by one,
evaluating each for freshness, size and its “spirit” or “energy.” They
then carefully begin the comprehensive process of cleaning, preparing
and storing. Paper-thin sheets of delicate Japanese cedar-wood line many
of the boxes, and different varieties of fish are stored in separate
boxes. The chefs carefully control the aging process of the fish—an
essential part of making sushi. “Just-caught” fish is not always ideal for being eaten immediately as sushi, and different fish require different methods of refrigeration and storage for ideal preservation and taste."

1 Like

LOL - No wonder sugarfish is the most polarizing of joints.
The discussions surrounding it can run from oxidized fish to Yasuda parallels.

Sugarfish’s takeout is one of the more oxide-forward preparations I have had.

(Sorry I had to.)

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa!

To be fair I’m not saying Sugarfish is anything like Yasuda. I don’t care for that style of sushi.

But I’m calling BS on “oxidation” within minutes.

Is yasuda incredibly pricey ???

Orleans and York
Honey’s Kettle
Bludso’s
Feast From The East
Gjusta
Gjelina Take Away
La Monarcha
Mendocino Farms back on my list.

1 Like

What do you get from Feast from the East ???

I haven’t heard that name mentioned in these here circles in fucking ages.

Seriously … Fucking ages.

Wings. Their “Chinese” chicken salad is good for what it is.

Almost forgot about Attari in Westwood.

Of course. Can’t beat that joint.

And my standard take out joint:

Fresh Corn Grill.

Yes. I realize most of you guys fucking hate the joint.

Been meaning to try them… Please list an
order for five. Thanks k.

Not true. I like the grilled veggies at Fresh Corn Grill a lot.

But the chocolate chip cookie across the street at Fundamental LA is sooo much better.

Since you’re in Tehrangeles anyways, grab an estamboli polo at Shaherzad, and a cucumber ice cream at Saffron Rose Ice Cream. Hastam?

Their espresso brownies are great. And I really like their Cajun shrimp pizzas and the rockfish plate with Cajun sauce.

It’s my go to take out joint for some fucked up weird reason.

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

I’ll add in Little Jewel and Orleans & York for NOLA po’ boys and Boo’s for Philly cheesesteaks.

I just had really good take out pasta from Maccheroni Republic. Ready in 25 min from the time of ordering during the middle of the Sunday dinner rush.