Your thoughts on adding a Veggie Burger to In and Out Menu?

I had my brother in NYC do a bit of recon on this…

He said it was great! And he is not a veggie burger kind of guy. He said that it had a similar texture/feel to Shake Shack, which is pretty high praise.

2 Likes

My vegetarian son is sooo hoping they come to L.A. soon. He misses his burgers and this one looks great.

Thank your bro for all his hard work :grin:.

1 Like

Momofuku’s buying patties manufactured by this company:

http://www.impossiblefoods.com/faq/

1 Like

One person’s opinion. If we have the chance I’ll certain check it out. Helping save the planet is a worthy cause.

2 Likes

While I’d be happy to see a veggie patty option at more places, I don’t think I have any right to dictate/insist that a company add (or remove) menu items based on my desire. Hence, I’m not signing the petition.

As was pointed out up-thread, just having a veggie patty wouldn’t satisfy all vegetarians (and certainly not vegans) - they would ask for separate cooking surfaces and tools; I can’t envision In-n-Out having the space in their various locations to accommodate that.

I’ll eat their fries - if hot and well-done - and like a Neapolitan shake every once in a while, but even back when I was eating meat their burger didn’t do much for me.

2 Likes

Manufacturing imitation beef out of textured wheat protein, potato protein, “heme protein,” and soy protein isolate seems less likely to “save the planet” than to help humans evolve into Borg-like android hive creatures.

At close to 2000 gallons of water to ‘raise’ a pound of beef, I don’t think the term “saving the planet” is overstating the situation too much.

3 Likes

Very funny

How much water it takes to raise cows and whether such water use is good, bad, or neutral for the environment depends on how and where they’re raised.

WSJ won’t let me read anymore articles without subscribing. Already did that with LAT. I’m good for now.

I’ve learned (or formed an opinion) based on Michael Pollan’s cool-ass docs. Meat is an excellent protein. We’re just eating too darn much of it. People have been eating animal flesh for many, many years. What’s changed is how much we’re eating, how it’s prepared, how unhealthy and inhumanely it’s raised. Yes it’s depleting resources. But it also helps with a crazy amount of pollination.

My 2 Cents

2 Likes

The idea of that gives me the creeps. I can’t intellectualize it, it’s a visceral NO.

:sweat_smile:

My son concurs with your findings. And he’s a burger traditionalist.

Terrible politician is not an oxymoron - it’s redundant!

1 Like

I tried to stick up for you, but now you lost me. LOST. ME!!!

2 Likes

…and duck fat-fries…

1 Like

Had a protein/animal style burger for the first time two weeks ago. I really enjoyed it although it could be a bit difficult to handle if you don’t get the ‘grip’ right. I was telling myself that losing the bun was healthier and omitted the fries too. I might do it again but it’s not quite the same experience.

That’s the thing. It seems like it would be slippery.

The one time I tried it, I tried setting it down to wipe my hand and mouth after the first bite - it started falling apart. Holding it the whole time was the only solution on this one for me.

That seems to go against the convenience of a drive-thru.