Your thoughts on adding a Veggie Burger to In and Out Menu?

The root causes of global warming are population growth and economic growth. The people who want to “save the planet” by having everyone eat soylent, bug meal, Frankenburgers, and other manufactured substitutes for real food are just kicking the population can down the road.

I don’t think that saving the lives of livestock is their only initiative/philosophy. Most are fully aware of population issues; the causes driving population increases and what the consequences of those increases are.

My sister is one of those “nut-cases.” She decided long ago NOT to have children because of the issues that hit her conscience.

1 Like

I don’t have children either, but factory-made food substitutes aren’t part of my vision of a sustainable future. Neither are factory farms.

If frankenburgers fall in line with this group’s ethics r.e. reducing animal product consumption, then they will initially support it. If they find that production hits other issues, r.e., higher resource consumption, waste, etc., they will eventually address those too. Like rust, they never sleep.

1 Like

The target market is people who just buy what’s cheap and convenient.

I don’t think anyone who’s very thoughtful about what they eat will want to eat patties made from factory-made wheat protein, potato protein, and yeast genetically modified to contain leghemoglobin when there are so many alternatives made from real food.

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:79, topic:4325”]
because as much as many save-the-planet do-gooders are chastised, they are ultimately right. If we all cut back at least on stuff like factory beef, we’d all be better off.
[/quote]I agree. Some opinion is we do these things to make ourselves feel better, we’re swatting at flies and not helping anyone. But I happen to disagree and there is evidence to back it up. If it weren’t for people insisting on local, humane, free-range, etc., then Farmers Markets and stores like Wholefoods wouldn’t be successful and Ralphs/Vons wouldn’t be offering products to keep up. I am a believer that every little bit counts.

2 Likes

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:80, topic:4325”]
Well he’s in luck! Looks like it is among us… (for $14!!!)
[/quote]Okay… that he won’t be excited about.

I think you are ignoring the content of @bulavinaka’s response, and skipping to a criticism of the global warming agenda. As @small_h stated, there are two schools of thought. There are those who are concerned with finding humane alternatives to factory farming. My son and myself to a lesser degree fall into that category. He is also concerned with human labor issues. He buys American and as a result isn’t much of a consumer at all.

But if we’re talking pollution/climate change, there are also small adjustments individuals can make. One small example: for events - buying local and in-season flowers, not exotic flowers that have to be flown in from another country.

Awareness isn’t always the first step toward change. But pooh poohing it is certainly not.

2 Likes

[quote=“robert, post:83, topic:4325”]
I don’t have children either, but factory-made food substitutes aren’t part of my vision of a sustainable future.
[/quote]True. Health wise it is another form of processed food. It is definitely not whole food. Which is my reason for not crossing over to the other side… aside from meat being delicious. Humans are never going to fully give up meat. Bacon is more popular than ever. But praise, not ridicule should be given to those who switch to a plant based diet. Let’s hope they are helping to balance this wack eco-system of ours.

1 Like

One of sons-in-law has a goal of eating meat only once a month. He’s not always successful but with a goal like that he has a target.

4 Likes

I’m just tacking this on here. I think of Stanford as being pretty reputable.

https://woods.stanford.edu/news-events/news/meats-environmental-impact

1 Like

If you’re referring to the OP, I beg to differ. Economics plays a big part in the vast majority of the population’s eating decisions, particularly young folks. And a huge part of the In n’ Out’s customer base is young folks. I’d say my kids’ high school is about 10-20% veggie/vegan-oriented. An In’O is within walking distance.I’ve been told that my son’s friends who are of that group bow out when the group decides to eat there. They don’t want to eat just fries. I’m pretty sure they’d opt to eat there if a non-meat option were available.

Most of the population is not of the same mindset of FTC-types.

3 Likes

Did you see that only 20% of millenials have even TASTED a Big Mac? Tasted. Not even got one of their own. I think the times are definitely changing.

1 Like

I agree with this. Livestock to a certain extent is good for pollination and such. However, what is being done now is a tragedy. But I have already had a couple of go-rounds with people on this board about the effects of eliminating what the writer called small-feed farms and the increase in factory farms. I don’t have the energy. Some just do not believe it at all… period.

Thanks cath!

1 Like

Yep… I just read that most of them have never had a Big Mac.

I know. I was reluctant to post it and that’s really why I replied to YOU :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still don’t know if it is a good idea for In N Out to tinker with their tried and true business model. They’re profits are still strong. Where as McDonalds keeps changing the menu and most of it is unsuccessful.

1 Like

I’ve never had anything except French fries from McDonald’s.

For years the only thing I ever had there was a Big Mac and fries. A few times I’ve hit the drive thru for a couple of $1 burgers just to stuff my face while on the road. I can get a pretty bad headache sometimes if I go too long without some kind of sustenance. Those little burgers are small enough to eat while driving without getting them all over you. I can at lest testify that they won’t kill you.

The McChicken is on the dollar (now plus) menu also.