Zagat Top 10 in LA List 2015

Here is Zagat’s Top 10 resturants in LA for 2015. Thoughts?
Here is the entire top 10:

1. n/naka
  2. Angelini Osteria
  3. Mélisse
  4. Matsuhisa Restaurant
  5. Providence
  6. Asanebo
  7. Pizzeria Mozza
  8. Chianina Steakhouse
  9. Bestia
  10. Michael’s on Naples Rist.

I’ve only been to Asanebo. But here’s my take: behind/alongside or wherever, there’s a restaurant with similar cuisine that may be better. In my case, I’m thinking Mori.

Matsuhisa ???

seriously ???

anyhow, i was just wondering about Zagat the other day. I thought it ceased to exist these days. I guess it’s still ticking.

If my memory serves me correctly, it pre-dated many of the interent food message boards.

and that’s no fucking joke. but if it still exists it seems like it’s way best its prime.

For the immediate future, you’d better get used to Zagat hanging around. Google bought it for a cool $125 million a few years ago. That’s why many of us get Zagat emails.

1 Like

Lol glad to see the majority of our good restaurants are in Long Beach!

1 Like

2 out of 10 = “a majority”?

I would actually like to see a real review of Chianina.

I find it more interesting that Zagat critics or readers (not sure how it works?) consider Angelini Osteria and Pizza Mozza the same caliber as Providence and n/naka.

They just released the Zagat Top 2015 50 best Resturants in Los Angeles including scores at this link…

Ruth Chris???

Not sure how some of these restaurants have high scores yet they rank lower? Like providence and angelini. Just finished reading the list, what a joke.

What the hell is up with all the “quotes”?

The “quotes” have been a feature of Zagat that bugs people right from its inception. Seemingly the quotes are words written by folks responding to the Zagat surveys (if they still do those?). In reality, I think the editors just try to “use” them to be cute and to summarize the tenor of reviewers’ remarks.

Zagat goes way back. I remember it in the early 80s. It was a very reliable resource in its day. I found it particularly helpful when trying to pick a restaurant while traveling. Zagat is now nowhere near the resource the old CH or FTC is but in its day it was the best there was.

yeah, that’s what i thought.

in it’s fucking day.

but that proverbial day has long fucking past.

and that’s no fucking joke.

They are still useful in that they are great to embarrass a local you are visiting while in town. Just bust it out in public and you and your whole party will be deemed tourists. Works great in culmination with a fanny pack too.

i don’t fucking want to do that.

and then get mugged and wear my fucking hawaiiin shirt. i hate looking like a fucking tourist when i actually am in fact a tourist visiting a city.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Hawaiian shirts. :joy::joy::joy:

I prefer to do this in my home city, and then see what my fellow locals recommend. Sometimes the responses are frightening.

This summer I went to Maui for a week. Somehow I managed to get on the same flight coming and going with an extended family that insisted on all wearing the identical Hawaiian shirt on both flights. And some wore plastic leis. Seriously people?

Zagat is Yelp.

Before the Internet.

1 Like

Actually, I think it was better than Yelp. That said, I have never relied on Yelp for anything. I have with Zagat and (again years ago) was not dissapointed