Zuni Cafe - SF classic

I wish I’d thought to take a photo of the Acme levain, I think they get a darker bake, kind of like the Boudin at Tadich and Sam’s.

This was great, basically a Niçoise minus the egg.

Classic Zuni fritto misto. My camera software is so annoying, looks perfectly sharp but if I don’t check each photo it might turn out blurry.

Another Zuni classic, the ricotta gnocchi. They split it for us so this is just half a portion.

Roast leg, braised ribs, merguez, couscous with preserved lemon and cilantro, roasted tomato, and tzatziki. If I’d realized how North African this plate was going to be I might have ordered a different wine.

To me this wasn’t really a pavlova, but it was lovely anyway, nice and light.

Also very nice. It’s a treat to get mulberries.

Overall another classic Zuni meal.

5 Likes

Went to dinner here on our recent trip to SF. Glad we did. Service was excellent. We were tired and so didn’t order the chicken which took 60 minutes to be ready. We started with the fried fish. Excellent.

Delicious sourdough bread.

I got the whole fish. It was moist and well seasoned, with tasty skin.

Husband got the, umm, can’t remember. But it very good. But what was superb was the polenta with two cheeses (the waitress recommend getting it that way.) . I never order or make polenta, or even grits, but this was so melt in your mouth delicious, I am going to make at home!

Sorry for the blurry pictures. But I have to say I will happily return! Good service and good food!

2 Likes

I think the secret to their polenta is lots of butter.

Most polenta recipes call for a lot of pointless extra work. Here’s the easy way.

1 Like

Or instant pot, if you have one.

1 Like

Thanks! I will try! I will not shy away from the butter!

1 Like

You forgot the french fries. They are very good.

There was only so much we could eat! We had been to Wursthall for lunch!! But I hope to go back in September. They won’t let you reservations more than a month in advance, though, so I have my calendar marked in August to make reservations.

http://zunicafe.com/

First post-reopening meal at Zuni. This is the first place I’ve gone where they not only checked vax status but looked at my ID to verify it was mine.

There’s a 20% service charge plus a 5% SF mandates surcharge, so if you don’t like that, don’t go.

House-cured anchovies with celery, Reggiano, and olives were the same as ever, was was the Acme bread with butter.

shoestrings

Execution on the shoestring potatoes was slightly off, 8 or 9 out of the usual 10. Great anyway.

Caesar was perfect. They split it between two plates for us.

shrimp

Unfortunately by 9:30 they’d run out of the rabbit boudin.

Gulf shrimp in romesco with chard, some little beans, and pickled vegetables, every ingredient was good but it didn’t come together as a coherent dish, let alone a Zuni-style dish.

norma

Spaghetti alla Norma, flawless. Perfectly al dente, lightly sauced like in Italy. Again they split it in two plates for us.

dessert_menu

Eton_mess

granita

We wouldh’t have ordered dessert but I can’t say no to the granita di caffe and how often does anyone offer you Eton mess?

In classic Zuni tradition, the service was exceptional. Officially they close at 10:00, but when we left around 11:15 there was a table that had just gotten the roast chicken.

2 Likes

My friend asked how business had been. The server said it varied, but it had been busier since they started requiring proof of vaccination.

The amount of fries looks quite large or are these multiple orders combined ?

One order. They’ve always been generous with the fries.

I went to Zuni (once) based on your rec a few yrs back, and I really enjoyed it. Glad to hear the dishes were largely a success on your last visit.

I hope they get back to staying open till midnight and serving the burger after 10 pm.

In San Francisco, as I said to my dining companion, Friday’s the new Tuesday.