Zuppa Toscano

@thechez5 Just for you

Zuppa Toscano
2 tbsp. olive oil (doesn’t matter if it’s EVO or not)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 lbs. Italian sausage (I do a mix of 50% sweet and 50% spicy to get an extra kick)
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp. flour
3 - 4 Russet potatoes. cleaned and sliced into 1/2’ rounds
1/2 cup of white wine
4 cups of chicken stock
2 - 3 bunches of kale leaves, cleaned and removed from the stem (we like a lot of kale so I use 3 bunches)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the sausage and use the spoon to crumble the sausage. Reduce heat to medium-high, and cook until sausage is cooked (5-8 minutes).
Once sausage is cooked, add bay leaves and sprinkle flour over sausage mixture. Fold the flour in to create a light roux. Add the white wine, and reduce. Remember to scrape the bottom of the pot to release any of the sausage remains stuck to the pot. Once the wine has reduced, add the chicken stock and the potatoes. If there’s not enough liquid to cover the potatoes, just add water so the potatoes are covered with about an inch or so on top.
Reduce heat to medium and let the soup come to a boil (10 - 20 minutes). Once the soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and add the kale. Cook for another 20 minutes. Taste and season the soup with salt and pepper. After the 20 minutes, turn the heat off and add the heavy cream. Taste and season the soup with salt and pepper, again. The soup is ready to eat…but is even better the next day.

I generally use a lot of sausage. If you want it spicier, use a higher ratio of spicy sausage.

1 Like

Thank you so much! You’re the best. :grin: I’ll be in Idaho next month visiting my best friend, so this will be perfect to make over there. Much appreciated!

My pleasure. Enjoy!

1 Like

The soup turned out great! Everyone loved it. Really perfect for the cold and snowy Idaho weather. Thanks again, @attran99!

(It looked better in person.)

1 Like

It looks pretty good to me! So glad you enjoyed the recipe, @thechez5.

1 Like